Summer Shady chicken run?

bantyshanty

Oval Office Courier
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
S.W Pennsylvania
Does anyone have a chicken run that gets virtually no sun in summer?

We're building a 175 sq ft run out of a dog run on our property --chain link which we're covering with hardware cloth & we have a 4-sided hardware cloth & timber roof on it, 12 inches of gravel, 4 inches of sand, but it's all under trees like the rest of out property, so the sand doesn't dry out completely except during a 7-10 day dry spell --this is western PA.

There will be covered shelters near the edges for the chickens to get out of rain, and the big coop at night, but they'll be in the shaded sand from May through September, with patches of sunlight coming in occasionally.
Does anyone see a problem with this? The only place that sun shines all day is parts of the rood & parts of the driveway. Our run can't move & the trees can't be cut down.

My pens are in heavy shade except early spring, winter, and fall. I don't like the fact that the ground doesn't get dried out as fast in wet weather, but it has worked out ok. It gets very hot here in the summer, and it's always at least 10 degrees cooler back in the coop/run area. It's not my ideal set up, but what I had to work with, so I made it work.
Edited to ad that my birds are out free ranging in the full sunshine every day that the weather allows, so they do get plenty of sun.

Last edited:
No DIRECT sun, no problem. Your chickens will be fine.

thumbsup.gif

The two northern most pens only get minimal, late afternoon sunshine. The others, get morning & afternoon and yet another is shaded by a tree. I put my heaviest breeds (less heat tolerant) into the shadiest pens with the more heat-tolerant birds in the sunniest pens. There are now three deciduous trees surrounding the coop (two next to the waterfowl pens) and I've planted three vines on the southern most pens to help shade those. I have found chickens are a lot less heat tolerant than they are cold tolerant. I also found some shade cloth on eBay that I've been "watching."

Thanks everyone, I thought it would be the case that shade in summer is good. They do get free-range time in the afternoon when the kids play with them in the woods,
so they can bask in the sunny patches if they want. I think they'll be happy to keep cool, no hosing down needed.

Back
Top Bottom