Summer's chat thread!

Pics
My beautiful grandmother (Eldeane) passed away this morning. She was the mother of 3 children, the grandmother of 15 grandchildren and the great grandmother of 8 great grandchildren. She is the one that got me into chicken keeping, as you can see from the bottom pic she loved these creatures. I will miss hearing her speak to the chickens in a soothing tone, telling them how pretty they were. 73 years of life and she never once ceased to pursue things she wished to do. She grew up on a farm and went on to become a model and beautician, she lived a very full life. I hope I am not making a post that is "out of place" with this, I just wanted to share a bit about her since I mentioned her in the past. I truly appreciated everyones support on here, it was very comforting to know people were out there thinking of us, wishing us well.
I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :hugs I don't think this is out of place. It's a chat thread and you needed to talk about your wonderful grandmother. Thanks for sharing her with us all.

Last edited:

My beautiful grandmother (Eldeane) passed away this morning.
She was the mother of 3 children, the grandmother of 15 grandchildren and the great grandmother of 8 great grandchildren.

She is the one that got me into chicken keeping, as you can see from the bottom pic she loved these creatures.
I will miss hearing her speak to the chickens in a soothing tone, telling them how pretty they were.

73 years of life and she never once ceased to pursue things she wished to do. She grew up on a farm and went on to become a model and beautician, she lived a very full life.

I hope I am not making a post that is "out of place" with this, I just wanted to share a bit about her since I mentioned her in the past. I truly appreciated everyones support on here, it was very comforting to know people were out there thinking of us, wishing us well.
she seemed to be a wonderful woman I'm sending lots of prayers your way!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry!!! this might cheer you up a little...

Last edited:

My beautiful grandmother (Eldeane) passed away this morning.
She was the mother of 3 children, the grandmother of 15 grandchildren and the great grandmother of 8 great grandchildren.

She is the one that got me into chicken keeping, as you can see from the bottom pic she loved these creatures.
I will miss hearing her speak to the chickens in a soothing tone, telling them how pretty they were.

73 years of life and she never once ceased to pursue things she wished to do. She grew up on a farm and went on to become a model and beautician, she lived a very full life.

I hope I am not making a post that is "out of place" with this, I just wanted to share a bit about her since I mentioned her in the past. I truly appreciated everyones support on here, it was very comforting to know people were out there thinking of us, wishing us well.
so so sorry to hear that. I am sure she passed happily.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
hugs.gif

I don't think this is out of place. It's a chat thread and you needed to talk about your wonderful grandmother. Thanks for sharing her with us all.

she seemed to be a wonderful woman I'm sending lots of prayers your way!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry!!! this might cheer you up a little...

so so sorry to hear that. I am sure she passed happily.

I appreciate all the kind words. This is just one of those things that will take a while for me to get used to, I am not sure if it has totally hit me yet. I do truly appreciate all of you for just being here, reading this, knowing that you're out there. It makes me feel quite at home here.

I appreciate all the kind words. This is just one of those things that will take a while for me to get used to, I am not sure if it has totally hit me yet. I do truly appreciate all of you for just being here, reading this, knowing that you're out there. It makes me feel quite at home here.

Lacie I will always have your support! and your at home here and all the BYC friends are your family! but just remember for every bad thing has happen a little good has came out of it....let me rephrase that. for every death a new child has been born! i under stand what it means when you lose a grandparent! lost my Pawpaw more than 7 years ago and still I haven't gotten over it. It may take a while but your whole family is here! trust me! all of them!
hugs.gif

we're always here for you in this hard time.
Lacie I will always have your support! and your at home here and all the BYC friends are your family! but just remember for every bad thing has happen a little good has came out of it....let me rephrase that. for every death a new child has been born! i under stand what it means when you lose a grandparent! lost my Pawpaw more than 7 years ago and still I haven't gotten over it. It may take a while but your whole family is here! trust me! all of them!
hugs.gif
x2!

i need help.
my silkie is going broody...except, it's November here in Cali. it's a little rainy, and a bit cold.
every time i walk up to the nest she puffs and growls at me. when she comes out for 1-2 minutes, she acts as if every step hurts her. i feel so bad. she is also getting the classic broody trait, bossiness. she has a mound of eggs she can barely fit under her. she also steals other hen's eggs and keeps them warm. the mound underneath her is getting bigger and bigger. i think she has trouble sitting on them all. she sleeps with them all night. but what if she cant keep them warm in the winter? she isn't even a year old yet!and, she is going to have her first molt soon!
but here is what i am worried about.
any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I was just about to ask that lol I cant wait soon i get this handsome guy! I am still debating on names but for now i will call him Toffee! and it turns out He is a white crested blue frizzle! the guy (Marco) who I am trading with sent me a picture of him! I'm in love already!

ugh I can't get it to upload! stupid technology!

hope you are feeling a bit better now, Lacie.

Everything is going well so far.
I think I will stick out this winter with all my breeds, I hope to eventually weed out all the other breeds I have and just pursue the Marans.

Now for advice about your Silkie! I too seem to have been plagued by late brooding hens this year.

The latest I will set eggs is October, in fact I have 13 little chicks outside with a hen who hatched them in the middle of October.
It is completely normal for a pullet to go broody, especially silkies. Most birds don't molt until they are at least 10 months old, if she is under a year old she probably won't molt during her first winter (in my experience).

The number of eggs you set definitely needs to be restricted, if any eggs are exposed then all the eggs will be rotated into the exposed position over time and die from exposure or simply fail to continue incubating after day 10 or so. My large breeds can set about 12 eggs, sometimes more. You will get better results with no less than 6 but no more than 13 .

Overall I would just break her of her broodiness and make her wait until spring. Conditions will be optimal if you can avoid November and December when it comes to "natural incubation".

Back
Top Bottom