1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm not a tea fan so have never really known how to make sun tea. My husband wants to drink it all summer . . .
    SO THEN [​IMG]
    How many bags go in the big gallon jar and for how long does it sit in the sun? After the sun does it go in the frig or do you pour it warm over ice?
    thanks!

2. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    We always used 2 family sized tea bags for a gallon of sun tea. Leave it out until the desired color (strength) is achieved. Each person has there own taste they like..... We always refrigerated it after it was made to keep it from getting "sour" before we drank it but you can pour it directly over ice and drink it right away if you are thirsty!

Hope that helps!!

3. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    We make a half gallon of tea every day of the year. Seems easier to just boil a couple of cups of water to steep the bags in. Sorry for ruining the planet. : )

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It is easier to boil water and pour it over the tea bags, but sun tea is made at a lower temperature which results in a smoother tea. It just tastes a lot better over ice in my opinion than traditionally made tea. But to each his own.

I'm not into saving the planet here; the energy saved in making some sun tea isn't exactly going to save enough to run my air conditioner longer [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My husband definately wants it made "In The Sun" [​IMG]
    So what is a family size tea bag? How many regular size would that equal?

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Not sure, but a regular teabag makes a cup while a family size makes a quart if I remember right. I'm out right now or I'd look at the package.

7. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Use ten regular tea bags for a gallon of tea. If it's too weak try it with twelve, if it's too strong, try eight.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    perfect thanks!

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    SIGH . . . thought I had a gallon sun tea jar, went to get it out today and remembered I used it to mix chicken vitamins . . . [​IMG]

10. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't thought about making sun tea in ages... I guess I had better dig out my big gallon jars with lids tonight! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by