Sunburnt Skin on Chicken missing feathers

MtShastaChicks

Hatching
May 3, 2015
California
About three months ago one of my hens was attacked by a stray dog. She healed very well except that she is not growing her feathers back on one side and only some of her tail feathers grew back. Now that the weather is getting nice it appears like she might be getting sunburnt while she dusts and sunbathes. Can I put sunblock on her? Perhaps aloe? She is laying eggs, but because of the attack they are really bumpy so I can identify which are hers if I need to separate them out and not eat them. Any recommendations?

I'd get her a chicken saddle to wear, go to etsy and type in "chicken saddle" I've gotten a few from a lady that sells them there, I'm on my phone, I'll put a link in when I'm on my computer. Glad to see she is getting better, poor thing.

Thank you, I will check that out! Does it make your hen warm? I am a little concerned it might make her too hot because she loves to be in the sun. I always have plenty of water around and there is a lot of shade in their yard, but she always chooses the sun.

well, I imagine they could get warm. but probably no more warm than the down coat they always wear I suppose. I think i'd take that over sunburn. good luck!

About three months ago one of my hens was attacked by a stray dog. She healed very well except that she is not growing her feathers back on one side and only some of her tail feathers grew back. Now that the weather is getting nice it appears like she might be getting sunburnt while she dusts and sunbathes. Can I put sunblock on her? Perhaps aloe? She is laying eggs, but because of the attack they are really bumpy so I can identify which are hers if I need to separate them out and not eat them. Any recommendations?

In addition to the chicken saddle, I would feed her some extra protein. She should have started growing feathers back by now I would think. Takes extra protein to grow them, so if she is just on regular layer feed, a boost in protein could get those feathers going. Some hard boiled mashed egg a few times a week would help.

Thank you, I will check that out! Does it make your hen warm? I am a little concerned it might make her too hot because she loves to be in the sun. I always have plenty of water around and there is a lot of shade in their yard, but she always chooses the sun.

I've had a hen wearing one for two years now, hot summer and during winter. It doesn't bother her. Feathers keep them much warmer.

Back
Top Bottom