Sunday Dinner - You're invited

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
Sunday dinner, served within the hour of returning from church, has been a tradition I have carried with me from early childhood. My mother and my grandmother made an affair out of sunday dinner. It was a big meal with all the extras.

Often there were others who joined us for dinner and brought along other dishes to share.

Those were long afternoons when have guests was exciting to us children and the days played out at the whims of us children - tree climbing, hopscotch, even the trampoline.

Let's have a sunday dinner on the grounds. Everyone is invited.

I am bringing -

Roast chicken (baked in a clay baker)
Fresh beets - both the roots and the tops prepared in 2 dishes
Glazed fresh carrots
Roasted potatoes with onions, garlic and rosemary
Fresh baked rolls (from Katie's recipe I tweaked for dinner rolls)
Iced Tea (and/or other beverages)

I will reserve the beet juice (and any beet slices left over) and make pickled eggs from JoeBryant's Pink Pickled Egg recipe.

The chicken carcass and any leftover carrots and potatoes will go into a stew pot for another meal.

What will you add to the groaning table?

I'll be adding a couple recipes later when I can type them out.

I'll bring the Antipasto (Big salad with lots of goodies)
smile.png

I guess I am boring.

I fix almost the same thing every week.... (In fact it's time I roll out of bed and get the rolls out on baking sheets to rise and the roasting pan in the oven.... I always peel potatoes and carrots on Saturday night so its easy Sunday morning)

Roast beef
Mashed potatoes
Carrots
Green Peas.. (are there any other color?)
Texas dinner rolls w/ butter & honey

Ice cream and chocolate cake for desert today.

With all of the little roos in my brooder in about 3 months my family will get a surprise for Sunday dinner. We'll see how it goes.

I'm drooling already- not just for the food, but also the lovely atmosphere of Sunday dinner.

I'll be delighted to bring my fancy deviled eggs, and strawberry shortcake! (SC strawberries just coming in!)

Quote:
Sunday roast beef with gravy was always a favorite! We would eat cold roast beef sandwiches for supper after evening services and before bedtime.

My grandma would rotate the sunday menus - Roastbeef and gravy, fried chicken, hash and rice, hen or capon and dressing and ham. We never knew for sure until she started cooking what the main dish would be but it was always one of the above. Very rarely did she surprise us with something different.

Back
Top Bottom