Sunflower Seeds

kmdsparrow

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
Hi! It seems that my hens have started laying more eggs since I have been giving them sunflower seeds in addition to their layer feed. Does that sound right or is it just coincidental?

Sunflower seeds run around 17% protein, and 44% fat. Your layer ration is probably just 16% protein. So the extra protein and calories can initially boost production. The high fat content will cause them to get internally fat which can lead to health problems, and lower production.

You are better off feeding a higher protein ration like a starter grower, and feeding the sunflower seeds minimally or not at all, especially if your birds are confined and they don't get much exercise.

I feed whole black oil sunflower seeds at 5% of the ration. The shells add so much fiber they cut the protein and fat in half. It takes energy to digest shells.

Hulled seeds are very concentrated and 5% might be a little rich. Not sure!

I have seen scratch rations very high in sunflower seeds compared to what we often see, with sunflower seeds as a minor component.

Chicken Raising Made Easy, 1946:

Mix No. 6
Whole Corn or Milo, 25
Wheat, 25
Oats or Barley, 25
Sunflower seed, 25

I feed whole black oil sunflower seeds at 5% of the ration. The shells add so much fiber they cut the protein and fat in half. It takes energy to digest shells.

Hulled seeds are very concentrated and 5% might be a little rich. Not sure!

I have seen scratch rations very high in sunflower seeds compared to what we often see, with sunflower seeds as a minor component.

Chicken Raising Made Easy, 1946:

Mix No. 6
Whole Corn or Milo, 25
Wheat, 25
Oats or Barley, 25
Sunflower seed, 25
Mix No. 6 above a I treat as scratch formulation used to cut a high protein complete feed during most of winter. The scratch mix represents about 1/3 or total ration, thus my birds are getting a little over 7% black oil sunflower seed.

I Have been giving my mixed flock the fresh cut spent heads of my massive sunflower that has like 20 blooms on it, they love them. They free range mostly and get 16% layer mixed with my leftover grower crumble at the moment so it is just supplemental for them. They are just getting to laying age(20 wks) and I only have had 1 egg so far a couple days ago, so no evidence either way on whether it helps in that department!

I have been giving my chickens whole sunflower seeds. I have read that too much can cause stomach issues from not breaking down the shells. They seem fine health wise. I have cut back on giving them daily. Are shelled better for them? Anyone have or had issues from giving too often?some of my chickens started laying at 15 weeks. Can giving them the seeds have helped in early laying?

I have been giving my chickens whole sunflower seeds. I have read that too much can cause stomach issues from not breaking down the shells. They seem fine health wise. I have cut back on giving them daily. Are shelled better for them? Anyone have or had issues from giving too often?some of my chickens started laying at 15 weeks. Can giving them the seeds have helped in early laying?
Chickens can digest the shells just fine if they have access to grit. Sunflower seeds are very fatty and can actually be harmful long term if fed too much. They will develop internal fat which can cause things like fatty liver, and prolapse. Limit them. They are a treat.

Back
Top Bottom