Sunflower sprouts

KenK

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Georgia
Put two or three inches of soil in a used carboard box, sprinkle sunflower seeds on top, press down into the soil but don't cover with soil, water two or three times a day.

Carefully move box to chicken run so that the bottom doesn't fall out.

A good quick lift will let the bottom and the soil and sprouts fall through.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODItMjAxMTA2MDYtMTcyMy5qcGc.jpg

Is it going to eat us or should we eat it?
What do you think?

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODMtMjAxMTA2MDYtMTczMC5qcGc.jpg

Nothing left.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxODYtMjAxMTA2MDctMTIxNy5qcGc.jpg

How long it takes is going to depend on the temperatures, watering and how big you want the sprouts to be. These were about a week old.

Quote:
Just regular black oil sunflower seeds. I started another box just now, will report back when they are ready to feed. I will forget when I started them but this thread will document it. : )

That is a good idea. Thanks for sharing. I am always looking fo rnew things my chickens will enjoy. I am going to my garage to get them started right now.

I am going to do that, lot cheaper than buying them crickets.
celebrate.gif
thanks

Last edited:
Have converted over to nursery flats instead of carboard boxes. This batch has peat moss for the growing medium and it does not seem to be working quite as well as the potting soil.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDAtMjAxMTA3MTItMDcxMS5qcGc.jpg

And I can tell you they love them! My DGD's helped throw BOSS to the chickens in their runs. Then I noticed little plants sprouting up everywhere. It dawned on me what they were and we spent time everyday picking them and throwing them in the run. The chickens love them.

Today I will go out and find something to plant some in like that! They are gonna love me, I mean the sprouts!

Back
Top Bottom