Sunken eyes?

Graiae66

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Georgia
I have 12 female 3 week old chicks, 6 buff Orps and 6 Australorps. This is one of the Australorps having the problem. She has sunken eyes (and if she were a dog, I'd say it was dehydration). She shows no other signs of problems--I've seen her eat and drink and perch and run around. I see no signs of trauma, although it is possible one of the eyes was scratched or pecked. Poop seems normal. I have some canine all-purpose hydrating eye drops and some antibiotic ointment, but I haven't used either yet. It is brooder cleaning day today (large plastic bin with pine shavings), so since it is nice and warm outside, I'm planning to let them play in the run/chicken tractor much of the day. The eyes are not dull, just a bit sunken. No other birds seem affected. Any ideas?

Thanks,

dee

Dee, Thats a new one on me.

No nasal drainage? No drainage in the eye?

Hopefully someone with more experience will pick up this post and have some ideas.

fl.gif

Thanks--she seems OK other than the eyes--no other ailments. I did a quick check this AM, and she seemed fine. I'll get a closer look after school.

Dee

Back
Top Bottom