Has my hen lost her eye, or is this something potentially full flock serious?

AuntieMim

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
This is our Ameracuana, Lenore. She is 7 months old and healthy aside from our obvious problem.
I noticed this afternoon that Lenore's eye is just... gone?
Looking at the pictures, does it seem to you all like she's just lost an eye? I know, it's not JUST an eye, but I mean instead of something potentially horrific like Coryza. Whatever is going on, does anyone have any advice on what to do?

There is no swelling, only a little crusty on the edges, and a bit of her feather beard is missing on that side. There is no nasal discharge or crusting on the beak.
I cleaned the hurt area and while her eye is a minute slit, the tiny bit I saw looks red inside and definitely not like an eyeball. It is sunken in like there is nothing under the lid.
Conversely, everything is totally normal with the other eye. She is acting totally normal aside from being a little careful getting around.
I've just checked the whole flock (all 45, lol), and nobody has any symptoms of anything at all. The whole flock free ranges all day. We have a large pallet walled coop and we use pine shavings on the floor and in the nesting boxes.
The only thing I can think of out of the ordinary is the roosters have been very aggressive lately and maybe one hurt her while trying to mate?

Attachments

• 20230910_172753.jpg
    20230910_172753.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230910_173049.jpg
    20230910_173049.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230910_172753.jpg
    20230910_172753.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230910_173049.jpg
    20230910_173049.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 19
Unless you've seen that the eye was plucked out before it swelled shut, her eye is still in there. But it's under a significant amount of pus containing bacteria which has the capacity to make her go blind unless it's treated.

The first part of treatment is "icky". The rest, not so bad. You need to remove the pus by gently pressing it toward the edges of the socket so it can be removed. No, the eyeball will not pop out.

The next step is to rinse it well with saline eye wash. Then apply an antibiotic eye ointment Terramycin, available at most feed and pet stores, twice a day until the eye heals.

Here's a video showing how to express the pus from the eye.

Unless you've seen that the eye was plucked out before it swelled shut, her eye is still in there. But it's under a significant amount of pus containing bacteria which has the capacity to make her go blind unless it's treated.

The first part of treatment is "icky". The rest, not so bad. You need to remove the pus by gently pressing it toward the edges of the socket so it can be removed. No, the eyeball will not pop out.

The next step is to rinse it well with saline eye wash. Then apply an antibiotic eye ointment Terramycin, available at most feed and pet stores, twice a day until the eye heals.

Here's a video showing how to express the pus from the eye.
Thank you for the advice!
I don't mind "icky" at all, I just want my gals to be happy and healthy.
One thing that sort of makes me nervous is it seems like anytime I've seen in a forum an eye injury, everyone starts screaming "CORYZA! OMG!" and it makes me scared for the rest of my flock!
Could a pus injury like this be something other than coryza? I'm sorry for being so dumb about this.

Thank you for the advice!
I don't mind "icky" at all, I just want my gals to be happy and healthy.
One thing that sort of makes me nervous is it seems like anytime I've seen in a forum an eye injury, everyone starts screaming "CORYZA! OMG!" and it makes me scared for the rest of my flock!
Could a pus injury like this be something other than coryza? I'm sorry for being so dumb about this.
Also, in the video those poor chooks had GINORMOUS swollen eyes, her's is flush with her skull and kind of sunken in.
I'll get a bunch more pictures in the morning.
Thank you!

It usually is only a local bacterial infection, but if it's Infectious coryza, it's still treated the same as a simple infection. All bacteria can be contagious, so simply take precautions like washing your hands well after handling and treating this chicken before handling your other chickens and the same for yourself and family.

The video is simply to demonstrate how to clean pus from an eye of a chicken, not as a diagnostic aid for coryza.

It usually is only a local bacterial infection, but if it's Infectious coryza, it's still treated the same as a simple infection. All bacteria can be contagious, so simply take precautions like washing your hands well after handling and treating this chicken before handling your other chickens and the same for yourself and family.

The video is simply to demonstrate how to clean pus from an eye of a chicken, not as a diagnostic aid for coryza.
You are THE BEST. Thank you!
I'm off to go get more pictures, wish me luck lol

Here are some more pictures- SHE STILL HAS HER EYE! :celebrate
We're going to go get some more sterile saline for cleaning and compresses and I've got Terramycin eye ointment on its way- hooray for next day shipping, right?
Something good that has come out of this is Lenore has always been one of my standoffish hens, really wild. Already she's letting us pet her, give deep feather scritches, and hand feed her treats. We will get her well and she'll be our pal to boot!

Attachments

• 20230911_103111.jpg
    20230911_103111.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230911_103059.jpg
    20230911_103059.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230911_102439.jpg
    20230911_102439.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230911_102210.jpg
    20230911_102210.jpg