Super big goofy shaped eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mudhen, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Last couple of days I've noticed these really large eggs along with an increase of bullet, or torpedo shaped eggs.
    The big eggs at first were just that, big! And I've had the occasional big egg before (usually double-yolkers), but never consistently three days in a row!
    What is more, the last two days, the big eggs are a bit goofy shaped. Should I be concerned (for the hens, not the eggs)? The girls are about two years old, and I have seventeen breeds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The three big eggs are 'X'ed in the picture above.
    (The lonlely 'green'egg with calcium deposits is Cleo's, my EE, she has always laid thin shelled eggs with deposits like that).
    Here's a better shot of the weirdo eggs:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    We get those occasionally. Don't know what it means though.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I just another one like that yesterday. I would not worry about. Most young layers lay odd eggs till they work out all the kinks.

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I have noticed calcium deposits on my EE's eggs, also. I wonder if that is something with the breed, my BR so far hasn't, or the cochins.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they have oyster shell free choice?

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    They do, but they don't seem to eat it much.
    I was beginning to think about putting a bit of it into their feed.
    What do you think?

7. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    You have an abstract artist on your hands [​IMG]

8. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    My BR sometimes lays an egg with a weird bulge/ring around the fattest part of the egg. I suspect it is somewhat normal? At least, I hope. [​IMG]

9. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

10. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    As I understand it, sometimes if a hen is interupted in the laying, or farced to 'wait' or hold on to an egg, the muscle contraction can give the hardening shell an odd shape. So your hens have plenty of nest choices? Or do they all try to use the same nest?

I have 4 nest boxes, and several shelves, but my hens all try to lay in the same area each day. I wonder if one of your girls is doing a crosslegged dance while she waits for the 'privey' of her favorite nest?

Just speculating....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by