1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

super candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shellyga, Feb 13, 2011.

1. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Does anyone have a really good candler that can give more detail on the chick development. I want to set up my incubator at school and want to use as an educational tool. Would like the students to be able to see good images of veining and chick development. I have $$ in the school budget..lol.. so want something other than the little flashlight I use at home. Anyone have idea or suggestions?

Shelly

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hi, I am currently using a Brinsea candler which does a very nice job. Still cant see great into those Maran's eggs, but enough I know something is in there. I buy straight from the brinsea website and usually get better deals than a dealer. Have fun! [​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Someone a few days ago posted about a candler she had made from an old paint can (could also use a coffee can). You can use a high wattage bulb in it in order to be able to see better into the egg. Would that work?

4. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    The Brinsea candler is a good one and they have one on the "educational" area that has a kind of "hood" that goes over it- making it darker and easier to see inside the egg. This is the one I bought and I really like it. It says that you can hook a camera up to the "peep hole" and feed it to a computer so you can watch on the big screen.

5. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    I have the Brinsea ovaview candler, but I also got the ovascope to go with it, which is great for schools too, it makes the egg look bigger and you could put a webcam on it so a group could view it on screen at the same time.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

An over head projector covered with black paper or aluminum foil with a hole in it..... May even show on the wall.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  7. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I went to Target and bought a flashlight that shines at 110 lumes. It shines pretty good into my dark BCM eggs.

8. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Brinsea OvaScope [​IMG]

9. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I like an old slide projector with a black foam gasket at the front of the lens. Intense light with little or no heat getting to the egg. Has worked for me on everything except emu eggs.

10. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I know this thread is a little bit old, but I just finished candling my Black Copper Marans eggs with the Brinsea High-Intensity candler with the OvaScope. I have not been able to see anything before except to see that the eggs either had a dark blob or they didn't. [​IMG]

I SAW THE CHICKS MOVING!!!!! I was able to see veining, feathers, and even watched some of the chicks move! [​IMG]

My BCM eggs are really dark. I tell you, I am totally impressed by their high-intensity model. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by