Super Easy Crock Pot Apple Butter

Scrambled Egg

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Super Easy Crock Pot Apple Butter

5 pounds of apples (I usually use two bags of those small reddish apples)
3 cups of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of apple pie spice (it comes in a small container in the spice section of foodlion)
2 tablespoons of cinnamon

Peel the apples and chop them up pretty small. Toss them all into the crock pot and put it on high. Pour sugar and spices in on top of apples and stir to mix. You won't have to do anything else for hours except enjoy the great smell! About 4 - 5 hours later the apples should be soft (now is a good time to get a bowl of vanilla ice cream and try them as a hot topping --yum!!!). Take a whisk and stir the apple and sugar mixture and break up some of the remaining chunks with the whisk. I use those small jam jars and spoon the mixture into those until about a 1/4" from the top. Put the lid on and sit in the frig until they completely cool off, then stick in the freezer all the ones you plan to give away or keep for later! When it cools, the consistensy is like jam, perfect!! Really good on toast, biscuits and waffles. I think it would make a super gift with loaves of homeade bread!!!

I do realize that this is not an "egg or chicken recipe"!!! someone PM'd me and asked for it --so I thought I would share with everyone, sorry it's out of place --maybe it can get by on this section becasue it goes so well with MissPrissy's Egg Bread!!!!
smile.png

edited to add that a splash of vanilla is awesome with this!!

Last edited:
I'm bumping this to ask if it can be canned like traditional apple butter...like could I make a batch, bring it to a "simmer" (I guess it would be more like a "blurp blurp") and then put it in sterilized jars rather than freezing it? I have very little freezer space...still working on DH for a small chest freezer.

If I ever had to bait a trap for my old pastor I could use apple butter...he loved it even more than I did.

Once when I was a kid I ate a whole jar of Musselman's apple butter with a big soup spoon. OOOOOOOOOO...my Mom was SO mad!

I'm sure it can...and it is about the best tasting apple spread of any kind you'll want to make...an awesome gift too!!! Course we are pigs and ate ALL of ours!!! lol!! Very good..I feel sure canning would work just fine.
wink.png

And now, of course I will have to look for good apples at the grocery store today and make some myself since you made me think about it!!! loL!!! Makes your house smell sooooooooooo incredibly good...you will be surprised at how yummy it smells ..yep makin that this weekend!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
It can be canned. If you have a follymill (sp?) you can just cut up the apples, take out the bad spots, and put them in with the peels and cores. Once the apples get soft run it through the follymill and put back into the crockpot to simmer away the rest of the extra liquid. To add more apple flavoring you can add apple cider in at the beginning. Of course, it means you have to simmer longer-with the lid off so the liquid evaporates.

Hey...this is so easy a caveman could make it!!!! Let Salamander see it, she'll have your house smelling sooooo good by the time you get in from mending fences, milking goats, making new chicken coops.....you will love it!!!
smile.png

Oh...and not calling Salamander a caveman..Buster now...that is another story there....lol!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif

We have some apple butter from last year that we have been working on. Salamander and her mama canned it. It's pretty good. For a while, I was too lazy to go figure out that there was frozen jam in the freezer and just used apple butter on my peanut butter sandwiches until Salamander realized and hooked me up with the jam (which was also made by her and her mama.)

There is something very rewarding to see food you've grown and or made, in jars on your pantry shelves or in jars in your freezer...very comforting in your grandmother's time sort of way....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom