Super Loud Australorp - Experiences?

I had a black Australorp named Betty that was crazy loud too. She would shriek something awful if I walked by the run and didn't stop to bring her treats or let her out to free range for a bit. She was also loud as heck if someone was using her favorite nesting box when she was ready to lay her egg. Or if she wanted to go to bed but the others weren't following her into the coop. She was top hen and had a lot to say. Oddly enough, she wasn't flighty at all. Very friendly. Liked pets. Great layer. Just so very very loud.

I had a black Australorp named Betty that was crazy loud too. She would shriek something awful if I walked by the run and didn't stop to bring her treats or let her out to free range for a bit. She was also loud as heck if someone was using her favorite nesting box when she was ready to lay her egg. Or if she wanted to go to bed but the others weren't following her into the coop. She was top hen and had a lot to say. Oddly enough, she wasn't flighty at all. Very friendly. Liked pets. Great layer. Just so very very loud.

Sounds familiar! Mine screams too, when she wants to go to bed and no one will follow. Or if I don't pony up the treats. She hasn't started laying yet, but I'm certain at this point that she'll shriek if someone is using "her" nesting box. Thanks for your input! I think this is the last Australorp I'll be getting (unless she turns out to be egg champion).

Sounds familiar! Mine screams too, when she wants to go to bed and no one will follow. Or if I don't pony up the treats. She hasn't started laying yet, but I'm certain at this point that she'll shriek if someone is using "her" nesting box. Thanks for your input! I think this is the last Australorp I'll be getting (unless she turns out to be egg champion).
I wouldn't give up on them. I have had 5 of them and none of them were loud. They were all pretty quiet and sweet, actually. Great egg layers too.

I wouldn't give up on them. I have had 5 of them and none of them were loud. They were all pretty quiet and sweet, actually. Great egg layers too.

Awww, ok. I guess won't give up on them yet. But there are other breeds I think I'd rather try first (I still have yet to get a BO, since mine died the day after it arrived in the mail as a hatchery).

I just picked up a couple of 3 week old chicks today. I was surprised to see white feathers on them. I have one very vocal hen who well basically yell at me if I come up to the run and don't let her out to free range.

hmmm...maybe that shrieking noise is normal! My BA is 3 1/2 years old and does that. Her sister made the same shriek but she died (no I didn't knock her off for shrieking:gig) Yes, I had TWO that did it at the same time. You get used to it:hugs

You ask some questions - are they quiet friendly loud flighty - well your definition of those might be different than mine.
I wouldn't say they are quiet, but I've had louder. The shrieking can be a little loud at times.

Friendly? Not big "cuddlers" but that's o.k. They do like to chat and follow you around.

Flighty? No. Mine isn't, she's fairly calm and bold - she's the watch dog for the flock - she has a nice growl, I love it!
Growling chickens are always fun...

My Australorp is the loudest chicken of my entire flock. She also has a loud yell that she does for most of each day. It sounds similar to what you have described. She is also the head of the flock and always in charge. She has never minded being held. She even enjoys rubs under the chin and on her cheeks. She is 21 weeks and squatting when I approach her.

Back
Top Bottom