SUPER lucky dog attack - whew

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
This happened yesterday but I'm still so shaken up that I have to share. DD brought home a stray around the end of July/beginning of August. She's a spayed (still had the stitches) border collie/cattle dog mix. I said from day 1 that she couldn't stay and we tried desperately to find the owners or find her a new home. She's a good dog but true to the breed, had to be crated when we couldn't watch her and taken out on a leash.

Well, yesterday she ran out when the door was opened and went after my chickens and ducks. She caught them by their necks but then let go and went on to catch one after another. It was mass chaos with feathers flying everywhere. We finally caught her and locked her back up. Fortunately not one bird was harmed but I found them scattered and hiding all over the yard. With all the stress they went through, I didn't get a single egg after that - not one even today. I went ballistic and DD's friend took the dog to her house this morning. It was either that or to the pound - I'm not messing around and taking another chance. I already have two dogs - a yellow lab and a pom and they are perfectly fine with the birds. The lab helps keep the hawks away and really watches over all the birds.

I know we were lucky and I'm so thankful nobody was killed. I've never witnessed anything like this before and was just in shock over how quick it all could have been over. My heart really goes out to all of you whose birds have been killed/hurt by dog or other animal attacks.
hugs.gif

Thank you. We have really been trying hard to find her a home. We tried the rescue groups but because she's not pure, nobody wants her. Unfortunately she would not make a good family pet but would be perfect on a farm (without birds!) Sadly we don't live in an area like that and I can't jeopardize all the birds that I've worked so hard to hatch and raise.

Quote:
Whew. Sounds like she could have killed them all but didn't want to, just touch them. Herding instinct is so strong. She needs a job!
Just not around your chickens
You did good to save her in the first place and try to help her find a home.
Some of the rescue groups will let you post her as an owner listed dog. The aussie group I work with even posts mixes.
Where are you located?
Good luck. Glad the birds are ok.

Rescue Remedy for your birds (a drop or two in their water) and a bit of electroltyes - for STRESS. Would check them over very carefully head to toe to make sure there aren't any puncture wounds needing tending. It' so hard to tell otherwise, with all the feathers. Hope everybody is or will be okay.
JJ

Thanks all. We did check all of the birds and they are ok. "Rescue Remedy" - is that the product name? I'll check it out. And where do I find electrolytes?

Horsejody - Buckeye BC Rescue was the first group we contacted. They had just taken in a foster dog 3 days before and had no room. There were a couple others that we tried but did not get any responses.

We're in Lorain county; well, the dog is now in Cuyahoga county so if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Back
Top Bottom