Super Newbie Question!

bydhatch

Chirping
Jul 23, 2016
NC
Hi all!
My ducklings arrived today and I had a question regarding imprinting!
They are about 2-3 days old and I hope my two ducklings and my family and I can form a nice bond. I would love them to approach us and not hate being picked up eventually. My male is especially skittish at the moment.
What is the best way to form a strong imprint?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Spend as much time as you can with them. Hold them, and talk in your normal voice to them.
Eventually they will follow you!:)

Last edited:
Spend as much time as you can with them. Hold them, and talk in your normal vocie to them.
Eventually they will follow you!:)

Any advice on holding? They squirm so much in just a short (15 seconds) worth of holding.
Thanks so much!

Umm, I don't really have any advice on that. While you are holing them talk in a reassuring voice. That should calm them down.

All righty! Today I noticed, just in transporting them, that they prefer one hand under them and one on top...almost like a sandwhich. :0 :)
We will have a little out of brooder imprinting time tomorrow. Thanks again!

Last edited:
My ducks always liked to be held standing up, i.e., not with their legs dangling down. If you hold them alot and try not to scare them by accidentally surprising them, they will get used to you. When they are a few weeks old, they will get super skittish again. If you are patient with them, and continue to work on taming them, they will not be skittish as adults. :)

Last edited:
My ducks always liked to be held standing up, i.e., not with their legs dangling down. If you hold them alot and try not to scare them by accidentally surprising them, they will get used to you. When they are a few weeks old, they will get super skittish again. If you are patient with them, and continue to work on taming them, they will not be skittish as adults. :)

Standing up...I'm pretty sure they were standing when I held them and they preferred it! Thanks!

You're welcome. Hope they warm up to you pretty quick!

We have already made great progress! My duckling who seemed more skittish fell asleep on my hand in the brooder. Hoping to make more progress tomorrow! Little by little. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom