Super strange White chicken from black Maran and patridge silkie parents!

playadesilkies

Chirping
Jun 15, 2021
Hi All!

After I got such great help from you all on my previous post, I figured I would try my luck with another identification.

This chicken is a cross between a Black French Copper Maran hen and a Patridge Silkie rooster. Miraculously (to me at least) the chick came out white and has now stayed pure white until the current age of ~4 months old. We’ve had several other white chicks from this combination too

I have been leaning towards hen as I haven’t observed any rooster behaviors, but I admit I do not know the Maran breed well enough to have any idea.

Also, is this surprising to get the recessive white trait showing or is it common?

dDNKY2a.jpg

dPQMFY2.jpg

IMHmM53.jpg

HdkQmLR.jpg

@The Moonshiner @Amer @nicalandia what do you think about the genetics here?
Also, it’s female.
Thanks! Glad to hear.
If it makes any difference, the Silkie came from a private party who claimed they were from the “Catdance” line in Washington. The Maran came from Hilltop Farms Poultry in Corona, CA which sourced the line from Greenfire Farms.

White silkies are known to throw partridge chicks, so the father could be carrying recessive white.
The Marans is a bit more complicated to explain. Hopefully one of the genetics experts tagged earlier will know.
She is a very pretty pullet. I think silkie crosses are so interesting looking. 😊

Looks like a cockerel. Could you get a picture of its saddle feathers to confirm?

Recessive white is common in silkies and I believe marans have a recessive white variety. Could be recessive white if it’s pure white and doesn’t have any black or red feathers. If that’s not the case, could you post a picture of the silkie parent?

Looks like a cockerel. Could you get a picture of its saddle feathers to confirm?

Recessive white is common in silkies and I believe marans have a recessive white variety. Could be recessive white if it’s pure white and doesn’t have any black or red feathers. If that’s not the case, could you post a picture of the silkie parent?
X2
While it is not super common, recessive white is known to show up in Silkies and Marans.
Lovely pullet! Such intelligent eyes!

Back
Top Bottom