Super thin shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gagaberry0609, Aug 12, 2013.

1. gagaberry0609

gagaberry0609 New Egg

May 27, 2013
    Bedford, Virginia
    Could it be the heat and that my chicks are laying the reasons my year and a half old hen has gone from laying every day ...great large eggs....to laying every few days every thin shelled eggs.....help plz!!!

2. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Try give her more calcium like: grit and boiled eggs. I give free access to grit all the time in a separate tray. So it may be your chickens aren't getting enough calcium.

3. Elemental

Elemental Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Tehachapi
    My hens are still young and 4 have started laying. The shells have all been strong except for one Wellsummer Her little white eggs have all been very soft shelled and stepped on or squashed in some way. I am giving them plenty of calcium. Both crushed egg shell and oyster shells. I am hoping that has she matures her eggs will get stronger. We will wait and see.

Plus I love the fact that my entire neighborhood is saving shells for us and my coworkers. Everyone has adopted our flock as their own. hmmm.... they may be getting to many treats from my loving neighbors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by