Super Tiny Egg, What the heck??

Tiny eggs happen sometimes. Unless you're getting them constantly it's just a glitch in the system.

My in-town flock gave me tiny eggs that were perfect miniatures with miniature yolks, ones that had no yolk at all, and, once, one that was all yolk with almost no white.

New layers usually lay small eggs, around 43 grams/1.5 oz or less, but not always.
In my recent Flock one pullets first egg was a large size double yolk.
About 1 in 5 of my pullets first egg are tiny.
20190210_142130.jpg

This egg weighed 4 grams. GC

New layers usually lay small eggs, around 43 grams/1.5 oz or less, but not always.
In my recent Flock one pullets first egg was a large size double yolk.
About 1 in 5 of my pullets first egg are tiny. View attachment 2437870
This egg weighed 4 grams. GC
aw that one is so tiny!! How cute. Our girls have been laying for a few months now so I am thinking their body just wasn't thinking when they laid this one :p

They have been laying for about 2.5 months. I haven't cracked it open yet, my husband would be very sad if he couldn't see it intact, lol!
How many do you have? One of my recent Flock started to lay 5 weeks after the first. All are ISA Browns.
20201113_093031_resized.jpg

Could your small egg be from a late bloomer?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Back
Top Bottom