supermarket brown eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thefishery, Dec 11, 2009.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    What kind of chicken is used to lay those eggs?

2. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    I don't know. Supermarket Chickens I guess. I was told when I bought my Red SexLink pullets that they would lay large brown eggs.

3. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:lol

My sexlink-ish hen lays light brown eggs. I was just wondering because I usually get white eggs but this last time there were only brown so I got them. I was just curious what kind/kinds of chickens they use to lay them.

I've only got one laying hen so I still have to buy eggs [​IMG]

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I've heard Isa browns.

5. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Sorry for being such a smart *** Sometimes I just can't help myself. My chickens are 19 weeks old today. No eggs yet. After reading so many posts about no eggs yet, I'm trying to be as patient as possible. If I don't expect anything until spring it will be a pleasant suprise if something happens sooner. But believe me when it does you will all here about it!

6. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    My chickens lays brown eggs they are RIR, ALSOBarred rocks and white rocks lays brown eggs

7. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    [​IMG]
    Mine are Red Sexlink and buff orps. I have one hen that lays double yolkers every day. I got my babies in March, and still only have 10 eggs per day from 21 hens. But, hey, patience is golden. I hope to be overrun by spring. My eggs run from light to dark brown.
    I am especially overwhelmed with the egg at the far end of this carton. No chicken egg carton made would close on that thing! I am hoping for a triple-yolk out of it. Is there such a thing?

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I have a hen that lays double yokes everyday, but when she first started she laid one that was triple. my friends and I were very surprised. I had to call witnesses, as i had never heard of one.

lol

9. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    What breed of chickens lay double and triple yolk eggs? Do you feed them a special ration-High protien?

10. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Cool! I hope to have a triple! Each time that hen lays one of these "super-sized" eggs, I say "ouch! that has gotta hurt!" LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by