Supplemental light?

TheRoyalRoost

Chirping
Nov 11, 2020
I’m a very new chicken mama and I have a tiny flock of three pullets and two cockerels making their transition to the outside coop/run. I’ve got a small hutch type coop. They’ve got a light in the run, but when I put them up at night, it’s dark in the coop. I’ve toyed with the idea of adding a small LED light strip on a solar bulb inside the coop. But is it necessary? This is what my setup is now…everyone seems pretty content so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 20
I’m a very new chicken mama and I have a tiny flock of three pullets and two cockerels making their transition to the outside coop/run. I’ve got a small hutch type coop. They’ve got a light in the run, but when I put them up at night, it’s dark in the coop. I’ve toyed with the idea of adding a small LED light strip on a solar bulb inside the coop. But is it necessary? This is what my setup is now…everyone seems pretty content so far.
Supplemental light is only nessasary if you want them to lay eggs in the winter. What you have to do, is put a light in the coop, and run on a timer. The light only needs to come on from 6am-7:30am in the morning, and whenever it starts to get dark in the winter- 9pm. This is jus too make up of the few hours of light that they lose in the winter, because it gets darker earlier. Does the make sense? I hope it wasn't to confusing. 😊 Hope this helps!

Having light isn't nessasry though, if you don't mind if they don't lay at much, or at all, in the winter. Just never add heat! Make sure the light you sue isn't a heat lamp, that will do them way more harm then good!

Is there ever a threshold for adding heat? I’m in GA and it’s getting in the 30s. I know they’re cold hearty birds, but should I worry about them at seven weeks?

Is there ever a threshold for adding heat? I’m in GA and it’s getting in the 30s. I know they’re cold hearty birds, but should I worry about them at seven weeks?
At only 7 weeks they still need light of sure. So defiantly need heat at at that age! What breeds? Do they have feathers yet? Only adult hens don't need heat, so your heat is good for now. :thumbsup And!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome

At only 7 weeks they still need light of sure. So defiantly need heat at at that age! What breeds? Do they have feathers yet? Only adult hens don't need heat, so your heat is good for now. :thumbsup And!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome
The dudes are a BCM and Easter egger - both are pretty much feathered out. The BCM is still getting in some saddle feathers on his rear end though. The ladies are an Easter egger, barred Plymouth, and a cinnamon queen. They’re all fully feathered. I have a brooder plate in the coop right now - temp in running at 60.0°F with 38% humidity. How am I doing??

This is what google said- The Formula holds that brooder temperatures should be kept between 90-95° F for the first week after hatching, and reduced by five degrees each week thereafter until the brooder temperature equals the ambient room temperature.
You temp should probably be closer to 55, and you can start to ween them off the heat quickly now. You said it was 30 degrees out? @MGG @shawluvsbirds What do you think about the temps?

But is it necessary?
As long as they are dry and out of direct winds, they should be fine.
I'd be more concerned about lack of ventilation with that coop.
'Supplemental lighting' is a term usually meaning light to extend winter laying for older hens.
Your chicks may need a light to lure them into the coop at dusk, since you have no windows. But that should be turned on an hour before roost time, then turned off when you lock up after dark.

This is what google said- The Formula holds that brooder temperatures should be kept between 90-95° F for the first week after hatching, and reduced by five degrees each week thereafter until the brooder temperature equals the ambient room temperature.
Nah......better to go by behavior. 95° is too hot.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

At only 7 weeks they still need light of sure.
No, they don't.....they should be off heat by 5-6 weeks.

Thank you so much! Ive been a bit concerned about ventilation too - so far I've added hinges to the coop roof so the entire top opens. The latch allows me to prop it open an inch or so if needed. These guys are brand spanking new the run/coop, so I'm making adjustments as they tell me what they need (and as I learn!)

Back
Top Bottom