Suppose it's too late for an accountability partner....

Eggscoozme

Songster
9 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Michigan
Okay, so it's chick season in our household. Time to get a couple of chicks. Tractor Supply says so, Family Farm and Home says so, not to mention chick hatcheries with all their "New 2018 Breeds" saying it's so as well. Soooooo, I told myself, no more than 4, or well, 10. Yeah, 10 is a nice even number. We'll make it 10! "TEN" it is! Told my family I've decided on 10 more chicks, and am proud of myself for coming up with that reasonable number! Yes, 10 more will not be too many, and there's enough space to accomadate them, so no need to build anything. So what happened to my brain? I opened up the brooder coop to more chicks than I could count....at least 80! Yes you read that right, "80+" chicks! If that's not bad enough, I have 30+ MORE coming THIS week PLUS 4 ducks and 3 geese. This may be beyond "Chicken Math" ........and to think, it all started 5yrs ago with 2 chickens from a farm auction.

oh gosh....i got 5 this year, so now i have 12 altogether, and I'm fretting about having too many chickens.....well good luck, let us know how it goes....if you have time!

I know the feeling of chicks and math.
Was going to get 15 white leghorn and hatch rest I wanted out of my flock.

Went to order the leghorns and they had chicks on clearance. 1 dollar each. All pullets slw and br. There was 12 so I bought them and ordered my leghorns. A few days later went out had rainbow layer and rir pullets 1 dollar bought 5 of each of those.

Went to tsc to get wire for a pen they had Riw had been wanting those bought 10 and 10 more slws. After about 1.5 weeks the Riw ended up being cornish x. Still have those and tsc replaced the mistake with 10 chicks of my choice. Plus my leghorns came in.

So i have 82 chicks.

I just fired up incubators for turkeys, chukar, quail, and some chicken eggs.

I know the feeling of chicks and math.
Was going to get 15 white leghorn and hatch rest I wanted out of my flock.

Went to order the leghorns and they had chicks on clearance. 1 dollar each. All pullets slw and br. There was 12 so I bought them and ordered my leghorns. A few days later went out had rainbow layer and rir pullets 1 dollar bought 5 of each of those.

Went to tsc to get wire for a pen they had Riw had been wanting those bought 10 and 10 more slws. After about 1.5 weeks the Riw ended up being cornish x. Still have those and tsc replaced the mistake with 10 chicks of my choice. Plus my leghorns came in.

So i have 82 chicks.

I just fired up incubators for turkeys, chukar, quail, and some chicken eggs.

Yes! You DO understand!!! BTW, I have 2 turkey eggs in my incubator. :D
This is the first time doing heritage turkeys (Narragansett), but am disappointed she only had 2 eggs. Not sure what happened. Found 1 egg by the run door, and another in an old compost pile (so old of compost, it's basically dirt).

My Turkey's (narris and bourbon reds) are just getting started. I don't think they are synched up yet. 1 hen laid an egg for 5 days straight. She hasn't laid again in a week. I got 3 eggs out of 18 hens turkey yesterday. All out of different pens.

I think they still need a couple more weeks before they crank up to full laying. Plus I haven' seen the sun in a week just rain and mud.

Good luck on your turkey hatch

My Turkey's (narris and bourbon reds) are just getting started. I don't think they are synched up yet. 1 hen laid an egg for 5 days straight. She hasn't laid again in a week. I got 3 eggs out of 18 hens

turkey yesterday. All out of different pens.

I think they still need a couple more weeks before they crank up to full laying. Plus I haven' seen the sun in a week just rain and mud.

Good luck on your turkey hatch

That gives me hope she might lay more. I do like and have heard good things about the bourbon. Both my eggs look fertile, so Yah! I do love the taste of the commercial turkeys I raised last year.....hoping the heritage are just as good. Did not care for our Jumbo Cornish, though, and they got so big because we couldn't get them butchered til they were about 13weeks old. Most weighed 12 to 13 lbs.

Turns out she IS laying more, and even got one today despite the snow. She is laying 1 every other, to every 2 days now.

Back
Top Bottom