Supposed to be a Black Star pullet

I got it from TSC online. I think Hoover’s. Supposedly BS. And pullet.
No more roos. I will be putting meat in the freezer sooner than I expected. ☹️ I will wait at least one more month to be certain.
Thank you!

Do you remember what color it was as a chick?
Black Star chicks are supposed to be black (at least mostly-- they can have lighter color on the underside, rather like a penguin.)
If the chick was yellow, red, brown, striped, etc. then that also shows it cannot be a Black Star.

Hold it, was it one of these chicks?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...loped-than-normal-probably-just-me-😁.1598480/

Most of the chicks pictured in that thread look wrong for Black Stars or for ISA Browns.

(But the age isn't quite right. If they were 10 days old on September 15, they would be 3 months old on December 5. So if this thread is about a 2-month chick, he/it must be from a different order.)

Do you remember what color it was as a chick?
Black Star chicks are supposed to be black (at least mostly-- they can have lighter color on the underside, rather like a penguin.)
If the chick was yellow, red, brown, striped, etc. then that also shows it cannot be a Black Star.

Hold it, was it one of these chicks?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/10-days-old-at-the-most-are-they-more-developed-than-normal-probably-just-me-😁.1598480/

Most of the chicks pictured in that thread look wrong for Black Stars or for ISA Browns.

(But the age isn't quite right. If they were 10 days old on September 15, they would be 3 months old on December 5. So if this thread is about a 2-month chick, he/it must be from a different order.)
@NatJ THANK YOU!!! When I looked up the age I had them at 2 months on 11/6.
If only you had reminded me that it is December before I posted this :barnie
Yes, this is one of those chicks.

In looking at hoover's website they have something they call "rainbow" and who knows what they mixed to get those but a few in the picture kind of resemble this one, if that's where it came from I'd suspect that might be what it is.
Thank you @DLA ! I should have looked at their website.

Looks like a pullet to me! No hackles feathers starting yet and normally they will be at 3 months old. I am thinking mixed breed - although not sure what breed it is mixed with.

Well if your correct on it's age than it's a male. At 2 months, the identifier is the red comb only. Chicks go through several molts till around 6 to 7 months old. When they're that old they become obvious.
Thank you @Tonyroo I am not correct on the age. @NatJ looked at a previous post of mine & pointed it out to me.
On 11/6 it was 2 months old. I don’t know when November was made the 11th month :old

It is hard to tell for sure in a picture, but is this bird much larger than your other 8 week olds? Maybe a meat variety and the redness does point to cockeral.
@Yardmom I made a mistake on the age. It is 3 months old. At least I can blame my age for thinking that 11/6 meant December 6 🫣😂

Back
Top Bottom