Supposed To Be Barred Rock, I Have Doubts - Help?

I got 4 barred rock in march from Rural King . They were straight run but i got the darker colored ones and they all are hens. By the photos they do look like Barred Rocks. I noticed mine have some teal colored spots on them also and I would agree that the lighter colored one is probably a Roo. Anytime you add new chickens to a flock there will be squabbles until the new pecking order is established. My chickens are all generally friendly but they know me to be their provider.. The BR are the first to come and greet me... Great birds... Good luck!

Anytime you add new chickens to a flock there will be squabbles until the new pecking order is established. My chickens are all generally friendly but they know me to be their provider..
It's been longer than pecking order stuff, they're just not a good fit.

Agree you have mixed breed cockerels, the one may be a pullet. sorry you got a bummer seller.
Thanks. This chicken business seems to be worse than horse trading :-/ The guy was pretty rude. I should've left them there when I went to buy them, but I'd driven an hour, and hope springs eternal, you know...

Sorry about your bad luck Mosey 2003. Are all four of the BR's bullying the other birds? If its just one maybe you could try putting the offender in chicken jail for a spell... Lol

These looks like they are generations of hatchery quality bred down and down. Brown leakage on BR is common in hatchery birds actually, I believe he might be using a rooster that's breeds were mixed far down the line, like perhaps the grandfather was a half BR half something else but the rest of the family has been straight up hatchery BRs.

It will work out and you soon will be rid of them. Maybe a different breed will be a better fit for your Orpingtons. I think I'd try Speckled Sussex or maybe Australorps.I'm sure you'll get it all worked out. Best of luck to you
smile.png

Thanks!

I really do want some real Barred Rocks, as I want to do some hatching of sex links and they should be decent to stew as older layers. Hopefully the ones I get to hatch will be nice
big_smile.png
I got the Buff Orpingtons because I just always wanted big fluffy yellow chickens, and decided on the Barred to add a little income later. I think what I'll do is modify my old horse's run-in stall and get some electric net fencing and have a separate living area for the Barred, and just move my Buff roo back and forth.

Hands down a show quality Barred Rock is one of the most beautiful birds to look at
wink.png
. I am going to be buying some this winter (probably), I can't help but day dream about them lol.

Thanks!

I really do want some real Barred Rocks, as I want to do some hatching of sex links and they should be decent to stew as older layers. Hopefully the ones I get to hatch will be nice
big_smile.png
I got the Buff Orpingtons because I just always wanted big fluffy yellow chickens, and decided on the Barred to add a little income later. I think what I'll do is modify my old horse's run-in stall and get some electric net fencing and have a separate living area for the Barred, and just move my Buff roo back and forth.
sounds like a good plan hope it all works out for you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom