SUPRISE EGG

SHERRING7712

Chirping
May 4, 2016
Ambrose North Dakota
I returned home from work yesterday and my son greeted me with an egg..."We've got another layer Mom!" were his words!
celebrate.gif

He had a medium sized white egg. This confused me as right now I have two hens laying. One is my ameracauna who lays a large size pretty blue egg almost daily and recently one of my two year old Brahmas laid me a couple small brown eggs. Currently the only ones I thought were old enough would be my one other Brahma and my black star but I thought their eggs would be brown.
I do have 2 EE's that are a little over 3 months old...and two RIR's about the same age. Everyone else is only about 9-10 weeks. Do you think the white egg could be from the EE's or could it be from my black star or brahma???? I am at a loss on this one!

My guess would be the Brahma, what color is the hen? As coloring will dictate egg color in some breeds.

White eggs from 'brown layers' are not unprecedented at point of lay.
Brown layers have a white shell base, the brown is a pigment coating added at the end of the process.
Sometimes egg go thru too fast to be coated...or there's a glitch in the 'spray booth'.
It can take up to a month or so for new layers to get the ole egg machine fully tuned up....
....Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

White eggs from 'brown layers' are not unprecedented at point of lay.
Brown layers have a white shell base, the brown is a pigment coating added at the end of the process.
Sometimes egg go thru too fast to be coated...or there's a glitch in the 'spray booth'.
It can take up to a month or so for new layers to get the ole egg machine fully tuned up....
....Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.
I agree with this statement.

Congrats on your surprise egg! It's so much fun to get them. And it's always fun for the kids as well.

thanks everybody! I'm setting the game cam up in the coop cuz I just can't take the not knowing! LOL I am definitely happy about it though...if I have 3 laying now woohoo! My poor little Liberty has been paying rent for everybody so far...I think she could use some help!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom