Surely this is not normal sized eggs....

Billy Mahone

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've recently found these 2 eggs in my coop.
To be honest, this is the first time I've seen such a small egg from a hen.

For comparison purposes, first photo is of quail and the chicken egg.
Second photo is of a normal sized egg and 2 small eggs from chickens.
I have several hens that are coming of age to start laying but didn't think this small?

20210727_152548.jpg
20210730_173010.jpg
20210727_152515.jpg

It is most likely your POL (point of lay) pullets working out the kinks of their egg laying system. Little eggs like that are fairly common for new layers and not much to worry about. Often referred to as fairy eggs or fart eggs, a google search of those terms should yield tons of info.

It is most likely your POL (point of lay) pullets working out the kinks of their egg laying system. Little eggs like that are fairly common for new layers and not much to worry about. Often referred to as fairy eggs or fart eggs, a google search of those terms should yield tons of info.
Great, thanks.
Not sure i want to eat these so called "fart eggs" now :/

Great, thanks.
Not sure i want to eat these so called "fart eggs" now :/
Could always feed them to the dog or mother-in-law! lol

Seriously though they are fine.

From FreshEggsDaily: Despite the lack of a yolk, fairy eggs are perfectly edible. However, since the majority of nutrition is in the yolk and the eggs are so small to begin with, instead of eating them, I love to simply rinse off the eggs to remove the bloom (which keeps air from penetrating the shell). Then I let them air dry until the white inside has dried up and is rattling around inside. Then the eggs can be used as kitchen decor indefinitely. You don't even need to worry about blowing out the contents inside.

I have several hens that are coming of age to start laying but didn't think this small?
It's possible.
Here's how to check if they are laying or not.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I've found that fairyfart eggs come from older birds rather than new layers.
Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.
I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Back
Top Bottom