Surinam cherry safety

BeckyOB

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Hi. I live in Florida and have a Surinam cherry tree/bush in my yard. I am wondering if these are okay for chickens. I would like to just prune it sometimes and throw some of the branches with the fruit on it in the chicken yard to give them something to do and something different to eat. I will post a picture as well just in case no one knows it by name but they have it in there yard. I know regular cherry pits I guess are not good for chickens so not sure if this is the case with these though. I don't think they have an actual pit but they have some seats inside. I haven't ever tried one myself, I believe the taste is pretty bitter. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-163323.png
    Screenshot_20210523-163323.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Hi. I live in Florida and have a Surinam cherry tree/bush in my yard. I am wondering if these are okay for chickens. I would like to just prune it sometimes and throw some of the branches with the fruit on it in the chicken yard to give them something to do and something different to eat. I will post a picture as well just in case no one knows it by name but they have it in there yard. I know regular cherry pits I guess are not good for chickens so not sure if this is the case with these though. I don't think they have an actual pit but they have some seats inside. I haven't ever tried one myself, I believe the taste is pretty bitter. Thanks so much.
My understanding is that dry cherry tree leaves can contain toxins.

Surinam cherries are not related to actual cherries that you think of buying at the store or the wild black cherries native to the US (toxic leaves, especially when wilted, stems and pits (cyanide) ) It is an invasive species and gets its name from the size, shape and color of the fruit. I don't think it is actually toxic as in the fact that it will kill you but it is not very tasteful unless picked at the perfect time and even then its up to the consumer to decide if they are pleasant enough to risk the intestinal discomfort that usually goes along with them.

As for chickens, the fruit is not very tasty and so it is doubtful the chickens will do more than try it and leave it alone thereafter.

That being said, the fact that they were placed on Florida's invasive species list makes it a good idea to remove the plant whenever possible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom