1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surprise babies! Now what???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bulhed, Oct 25, 2014.

1. bulhed

bulhed New Egg

Jan 3, 2012
    My hen hatched some eggs. I knew she was sitting on eggs so I candled them. There was no movement so we assumed they were dead. I put the eggs back under her. (yes my husband thought I was crazy but I didn't want a sad chicken) Anyhow, yesterday she was laying in the middle of the yard and wouldn't move. Well their was 4 chicks under her. SURPRISE! She was creeping closer to the coop. She was moving little by little to get to where she wanted to go which was under the rabbit cage, that is attached to our coop. Since it was getting late, we let her be. My question is, do I move her and the chicks to their own space? We live in northern WI and it is getting cold at night. Do we let her take care of all of that? Thanks!!!!!

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I would bring her inside, the basement, or the garage. You should get a brooder it could be a metal bin or something like that.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
  4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
  5. bulhed

bulhed New Egg

Jan 3, 2012
    Thanks so much! The article answered all my questions!!!! I love this site!!!!!

6. chickengurl00

chickengurl00 Just Hatched

Sep 13, 2014
    I would take only the babies, but I have some aggressive hens. The reason I take my chicks out is because none of my hens are very good mothers. I guess it just comes down to to the gentleness of you flock...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  7. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I think that is your call. It really depends on your hens and where she is in the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by