Surprise babies! Now what???

bulhed

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 3, 2012
My hen hatched some eggs. I knew she was sitting on eggs so I candled them. There was no movement so we assumed they were dead. I put the eggs back under her. (yes my husband thought I was crazy but I didn't want a sad chicken) Anyhow, yesterday she was laying in the middle of the yard and wouldn't move. Well their was 4 chicks under her. SURPRISE! She was creeping closer to the coop. She was moving little by little to get to where she wanted to go which was under the rabbit cage, that is attached to our coop. Since it was getting late, we let her be. My question is, do I move her and the chicks to their own space? We live in northern WI and it is getting cold at night. Do we let her take care of all of that? Thanks!!!!!

Thanks so much! The article answered all my questions!!!! I love this site!!!!!

I would take only the babies, but I have some aggressive hens. The reason I take my chicks out is because none of my hens are very good mothers. I guess it just comes down to to the gentleness of you flock...

Last edited:
I think that is your call. It really depends on your hens and where she is in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom