surprise broody in the coop!!**UPDATE**2 BABIES W/PICS!!

okay we got her moved into a spacious rubbermaid tub and into the living room. she was not that happy with us for that, but as soon as we were inside she decided to stink up the whole room!! then she ate some food and drank water, checked out her new accomidations and now is happy resting on her nest. today we are considering this day 7. we are really excited and anxious about getting more chicks!! we couldn't wait so we candled two eggs just to see if they were making progress. she has four under her (3 brown and 1 green), the brown was hard to make out any veins so we will wait and see. but when we candled the green egg we saw very good indication of LIFE!! it looks like we are about right on the day according to all the pictures here. I will keep this thread updated daily for progress.

And again, any advice or suggestions are always welcome, we are still learning and welcome others' wisdom on the subject.

Quote:
Glad it's working out to separate her. Mine is still out in the coop on her eggs. We've never really had any fighting over nests out there so that's not a problem. Do you have a pic of momma in her new accomodations? I'd love to see what you've done
smile.png

random010.jpg

here is "Little Momma" she didn't have a name before because we have mostly RSL and they all seemed to looks the same, so now she has a name.

but I could also call her, grenade dropper because when she actually poos, it clears the whole side of the house until we scoop it out. whew!!

but she is a good momma so far, sitting on her eggs...fluffs and growls if we open the lid to take a peak at her.

we also decided to make a homemade incubator. we are getting chick fever and want to have more chickens!! I will start another thread and post pics there

Quote:
She looks great! Hey, I just noticed your avatar pic. Is that an EE rooster, the black and white one? He looks a lot like my head rooster, Gallo!
smile.png

Quote:
she was not happy when we took her off of her nest in the coop but we put the eggs in there first, with a fresh nest and some fresh shavings and then set her in there. we put the lid on the bin before moving it and made sure she sat on her eggs before leaving the coop. then we brought her inside and I put water and food in there for her. Warning: do not put the food too close! all she wanted to do was eat, she even scooted all her eggs and and rest next to the food so she wouldn't have to get up. this causes too much poo!! but I moved the food to the opposite corner that she had scooted herself to, and she doesn't pig out anymore. I think she is quite content in there in the semi dark bin in our living room

Quote:
She looks great! Hey, I just noticed your avatar pic. Is that an EE rooster, the black and white one? He looks a lot like my head rooster, Gallo!
smile.png

yes he is EE. his name is Sam, but he is not the head roo yet, we have Elvis to take care of first before Sam can step up to be Alfa male. but they are our only boys for now and they know their rolls

Quote:
smile.png

yes he is EE. his name is Sam, but he is not the head roo yet, we have Elvis to take care of first before Sam can step up to be Alfa male. but they are our only boys for now and they know their rolls

He also looks like my EE roo Muffin!
Congrats on your broody! I can't wait till one of mine go broody!

Quote:

He also looks like my EE roo Muffin!
Congrats on your broody! I can't wait till one of mine go broody!

we definitely weren't expecting it, because someone once told us not to hold our breath for a broody in RSLs. but I guess it really depends on what other type of bird the parents were mated with, maybe Little Momma has a broody type breed in her blood line? I don't know but I am so excited, I keep aggrevating her when I look in on her. and it's only day 10! I don't know how I am going to make it. I am going to end up dreaming about chirping chickies! lol

on day 12 now! so rotten egg stench coming from the bin other than when she drops a stink bomb. we did candle yesterday and were able to see through a dark brown egg, and saw movement!!! we looked through the green one that she is sitting on, and didn't notice movement, but we are holding out hope. we are on our way and she seems content as long as we leave her alone.

just a few questions though:
-if these eggs don't hatch, will that break her broodiness?? or should we stick another batch under her and give it a go again? (secretly I kind of like having a chicken in the house lol)
-once the eggs hatch, can we separate the momma and just keep the chicks inside the brooder, and return Little Momma to the flock?

Back
Top Bottom