surprise broody in the coop!!**UPDATE**2 BABIES W/PICS!!

bethandjoeync

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Iron Station, NC
We have been going back and forth on an incubator, on whether to make one or buy one. and we were told that production reds are very unlikely to get a broody streak in them, so we weren't holding out hope for that. but I noticed yesterday that the same chicken was in the same nest box and seems to not have moved from it. but I figured it was just my timing and dumb luck that I caught her in her fave box. but when I threw out some cracked corn (which is everyone's favorite) she never moved, when I gave them fresh water and feed, she never came out of the nest box, and when I went near her, she shreaked!! I thought, "I have a broody on my hands!!"

I don't have a clue how many eggs she has under her, more than likely they are all fertile (I have 2 amorous roo's and 16 girls, they get around), so I am starting to count the days (today would be day 3). so now I am in need of some guidence. we want her to stay on the eggs and hatch them (I miss the little fuzzy butts!!) but not sure if/when we need to move her to isolation. I will take any and all suggestions and help that I can get. and thank you, in advance

Last edited:
Hi and congrats! I moved a broody australorp indoors a few weeks ago because it was pretty cold out, but lots of folks on here told me that it wasn't necessary. Personally, if you have a place to isolate her, I'd go for it asap.

thanks

we were thinking of turning the coop light out and letting them all settle in and then sneak in and lift her and the nest out of the box and into the container that we have for when one needs isolation for some reason

I too move my broodies because sometimes other hens will bump the broody out of the nest to lay. If she is determined to have her babies she will stay on the nest and only come off every 2-3 days to eat, drink and dump a BIG poo! Have fun!
smile.png

If you really want chicks, go for it. However since she isn't a broody breed, she's more likely to give up before they hatch, so be prepared for that!
-Zay

If you leave her in the coop, others will lay in her box, or fight over the box. Nothing more heartbreaking than to find 6 formed chicks crushed in their shells from hens fighting over the nest box. I would say move her into the other box but be ready to deal with the consequences if it breaks up her broodiness.

We went to the coop tonight and caught her down eating and getting water and taking her huge poo lol. Afterwards she went straight back and got back on her nest. Now if we move her do we need to take the whole nest or just her and the eggs and put them on fresh bedding?

When I moved my hen, I just physically moved her to an indoor pen with a new nest. As soon as she saw her eggs, she sat right on them. There was no way to break her broodiness. Here's a pic of the setup I used.

BroodyMelbourne2001.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom