Surprise chicken! Have no clue the age or hardiness

LindsayRae

Songster
8 Years
Jun 16, 2015
Southern Pines, NC
Hi- a long story short: I picked up this hen from someone who had her for a day... They couldn't have her/him....

What I need to know is:
-How old is she or he?
-What kind aof weather it can tolerate?
- Is this full grown?

I have golden comets and blue sapphires. It's cold here in WNC, but my birds are fine. This little thing is half naked. I just don't know what to do.
I've been putting it with a heat lamp just in case.

I also tried introducing my hens to it and they weren't nice. So they are separated for now. That skin makes me nervous!

If anyone has any breed advice and age... Even sex would be great. I'm not used to the silkie ish fuzz feathers.

IMG_20211114_143230.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211115_121556_01.jpg
    IMG_20211115_121556_01.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi- a long story short: I picked up this hen from someone who had her for a day... They couldn't have her/him....

What I need to know is:
-How old is she or he?
-What kind aof weather it can tolerate?
- Is this full grown?

I have golden comets and blue sapphires. It's cold here in WNC, but my birds are fine. This little thing is half naked. I just don't know what to do.
I've been putting it with a heat lamp just in case.

I also tried introducing my hens to it and they weren't nice. So they are separated for now. That skin makes me nervous!

If anyone has any breed advice and age... Even sex would be great. I'm not used to the silkie ish fuzz feathers.

View attachment 2899512
Its supposed to have a naked neck, dont worry.

Looks like a Showgirl to me. As far as sex goes, I am terrible with Silkies. I don't really see anything shouting cockerel. We also don't know age though.

They do not need a heat lamp. Bad idea. That sets them up for disaster if your power goes out and they're used to heat. As long as you have a draft free, well ventilated coop, she will be fine.

You really should quarantine new birds well away from your existing flock for 4ish weeks. Just throwing them in together is how diseases are introduced and spread.

Integration is going to be a long process. Especially with one single new bird. As you found out - you can't just put them together and expect them to be nice. I suggest doing a site search of integration. I always do the "look-but-don't-touch" method.

@LadiesAndJane is great with Silkies. Any input?

Looks like a Showgirl to me. As far as sex goes, I am terrible with Silkies. I don't really see anything shouting cockerel. We also don't know age though.

They do not need a heat lamp. Bad idea. That sets them up for disaster if your power goes out and they're used to heat. As long as you have a draft free, well ventilated coop, she will be fine.

You really should quarantine new birds well away from your existing flock for 4ish weeks. Just throwing them in together is how diseases are introduced and spread.

Integration is going to be a long process. Especially with one single new bird. As you found out - you can't just put them together and expect them to be nice. I suggest doing a site search of integration. I always do the "look-but-don't-touch" method.

Great! Thanks so much.

It was below zero so I was trying to be safe😬 if she happened to be a baby.... But I'm guessing she looks full grown to you. That makes things easier.

I realized mixing them together was too soon, so I built a coop next to the hens. They can see her but can't hurt thing thing.

Now I will look up the showgirl silkie type.

So much to learn still!!

Can't add much else. I think you covered everything. I agree.

Back
Top Bottom