1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

surprise chicken in my order

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tenfairytoes, Sep 5, 2013.

1. tenfairytoes

tenfairytoes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    So we call it feather foot I can't tell if it's a male or female. It is curious and BOLD doesn't appear to be afraid. I often find it in the garage and I have found it in the basement by itself. What is it?

It looks like a really tall hawk! We called it fugly for a while since it was funky and ugly. Took FOREVER to feather out. It's 6 months old. The feathers on the tail have some green sheen to them now. Feathers go all down the front of his bright yellow feet.

[​IMG]

2. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    It's possible it's a cochin. What type of comb does it have?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It almost looks like it wants to be a silver laced or dark brahma. Those look like saddle feathers coming in, and it looks boyish, but it doesn't seem to have any comb development. Where did it surprise you from?

4. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    Here are more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    Mc Murray Hatchery online

6. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    OK, from McMurray, Dark Brahma gets my vote.

7. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    Roo? GOOD LORD this thing is going to have a lot of feathers. All I keep thinking about is the snow freezing to the feet feathers.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks like a really slow maturing roo to me so far. Those suckers get pretty darn big even for hatchery birds. The feet feathers really don't seem to bother them much since they don't have as many as like the cochins, they will wear or break off some, or you can cut the excess off yourself if need be. We're in central Ohio and get a decent amount of snow and they don't really seem to have any more problems with it or dislike it more than the average chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by