SURPRISE CHICKS! Roo's or Hen's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kelseygirl707, Aug 2, 2011.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    So My Cackle Hatchery Surprise Chicks are 5 weeks, I seperated 11 out that I would like to keep, but I don't want all Roo's so help me figure this out. [​IMG]

Australorp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buff Orp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PR or NH?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welsummer or Speckled Sussex?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gold Laced Cochin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SLW #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SLW #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buff Cochin #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buff Cochin #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Light Brahma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The only one I see that looks remotely rooish is the Australorp...but, I have no experience with those. All the others look like girls...but I am no expert..I'm still trying to figure out some of mine and they are 15 weeks old!!!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Are those little wattles on BC #2? Hmmmmm. Also the Australorp may be rooish. S/he's got some large legs.

4. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I was thinking the same about BC #2, And I am OK with the Australorp being a Roo, I think they are Beautiful!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. WiiD King

WiiD King New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    I'd say the australorp is a rooster... I have one and she has a blueish comb still at 6 weeks.

6. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Here's what I think...
    Give the austrohowever-you-spell-it a boy name.
    The buff orp.. name it Billie, not sure which it is yet
    PR/NH gets a girl name
    The welsummer/speckled needs a boy name also.
    Gold lace cochin and SLW need girl names.
    Cochin 1, name Frankie- can go either way( No, not like THAT you sick minded young lady)
    Cochin 2 name Billie
    The last one gets a girl name

7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The gold laced cochin is actually a buff brahma. Notice the lighter leg feathering. Buff brahmas start out grey and buff. I've had two this season and this one looks like they did.

The brown one may be a speckled sussex (I'm not that familiar with those as chicks) but definitely is not a welsummer - I have a six-week-old right now and she never looked like that. She always had a lighter head, even now.

I find it so interesting how some chicks look almost nothing like their adult form. Watching them grow and change is so fun! [​IMG]

The only 'for sure' roo to me is the Australorp. But the waddles on the cochin maybe something to watch...

Good luck!

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    No guesses from me. Just want to tell you how adorable they are!!

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    The Australorp is looking pretty rooish right now, mine had zero comb at 5 weeks old, but the rest are looking girly to me... [​IMG]

10. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I took a closer look at the Gold Laced Cochin, and your right, it's a Buff Brahma, which I am excited to have, so I grabbed the other out of the sell box, but I think they are Bantams, so the may have to go down the road. The 17 or so that are in the sell box are being picked up today, now DH just has to put the roof on the new coop, and these babies are out! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by