surprise day old - what to feed.

Mountain Bear

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 26, 2012
So today we were given a single day old chicken that had escaped from the truck while loading the barn. It could be up to a week old. We were given it because we had chickens and would know what to do.
All of my chickens are at least a year old and I have no food. I don't suppose it would be a good idea to feed it layer crumble?
For today I have a little oatmeal but I am not interested in buying 50lbs of starter for one chicken. is there anything I can do?

So today we were given a single day old chicken that had escaped from the truck while loading the barn. It could be up to a week old. We were given it because we had chickens and would know what to do.
All of my chickens are at least a year old and I have no food. I don't suppose it would be a good idea to feed it layer crumble?
For today I have a little oatmeal but I am not interested in buying 50lbs of starter for one chicken. is there anything I can do?
Eggs are always a great food to give chicks, either scrambled or boiled and fork squished.

The big think w/ layer feed is the added calcium wouldn't hurt the chick short term for sure (may not hurt it at all depending on who you listen to), If I fed it the layer feed I would moisten it w/ water so the pieces aren't as big.

The calcium in layer can damage new chick's organs. Mash up a hard boiled egg, cooked oatmeal (or fine ground raw) is fine. Most anything fruit or veggie that's soft and fine enough will work. Yogurt is always a good one. Leftovers from many human dinners would work fine too. Don't forget a little sand or fine grit.

They sell smaller bags of chick starter in the grocery store here. You can always mix leftovers into your layer. Or you can switch to starter, grower or flock raiser for all your birds for a while. As long as the layers have a calcium source like oyster shell, the formula they get isn't that critical.

Just in case, here is the BYC treats chart, for an idea of what they can and can't eat:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

I would get it a friend and switch to starter/grower with calcium supplement on the side for the big girls.

Last edited:
The Walmart where I live sells 5 lb bags of chick starter.
smile.png

Well to tell you the trough I use Turkey Grow as it has 20% + protein
for good growth and a healthy body and I haven't had any trouble ...

That should work, too! Anything but layer, really, that is a full feed formula (as opposed to a bag of cracked corn, which the stores will tell you is chicken feed around here.)

BTW, that's a good point, a second chick would be a good idea. Or a feather duster or a stuffed animal. Maybe that will be enough if you can raise it adjacent to your others in a few weeks when temps permit.

Last edited:
Update:
Thank you all for the replies. Sorry to say she will not be getting a friend. She has been doing well on her own and I have two broody hens due in 10 days so I hope I can put her in with them after they hatch.
With the Easter weekend all stores were closed. For the first day I fed her ground oats and flax. She happily ate it it but I did pick up 5lb of chick starter. From what I hear she had a rough start. She was found about 100 feet from the barn that was being loaded and when she was finally found, during the chase to catch her she took a short swim in the pond. After she arrived here (on very short notice) the cat knocked the box off the dresser but luckily it did not open. She is now doing fine, although I am sure she is a little colder than she should be but seems happy.

Update:
Thank you all for the replies. Sorry to say she will not be getting a friend. She has been doing well on her own and I have two broody hens due in 10 days so I hope I can put her in with them after they hatch.
With the Easter weekend all stores were closed. For the first day I fed her ground oats and flax. She happily ate it it but I did pick up 5lb of chick starter. From what I hear she had a rough start. She was found about 100 feet from the barn that was being loaded and when she was finally found, during the chase to catch her she took a short swim in the pond. After she arrived here (on very short notice) the cat knocked the box off the dresser but luckily it did not open. She is now doing fine, although I am sure she is a little colder than she should be but seems happy.

Thank you for the update and it is nice to know everything is working out fine ..
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom