Surprise Eggs

BromelyRidge Birds

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2017
Good Morning BYC,

I found two eggs this morning when I went in to feed. Our entire flock (7) is only 12-13 months old. I would love some advice, anything you know about this subject. I was surprised because I thought it would be another year, or even two before we would see eggs.

Thanks for your help and knowledge,

BromelyRidgeBirds

Ummmm most hens are past their prime by 2-3 years of age. The average large fowl (LF) bird will start laying right about 18-26 weeks, normally closer to 22-24 weeks of age. This can be altered by seasons. For example, if they are reaching this age (called point of lay or POL) late in the fall, they may not start till the following spring. Most adult birds (hens - over 1 year old) will slow down or stop laying in the winter months. Driven by hours of sunlight, not weather or temp. This is why many folks use added lighting during the winter months to keep their birds laying through winter (14-16 hours of light).

Many chickeneers purposely buy replacement chicks in the early spring so they will reach POL before the fall winter months. The reason is because pullets (birds less than 1 year old) typically continue to lay through the winter regardless of length of day. This generally only happens with pullets, not hens.

Additionally, they will stop laying when they molt. They normally have their first real full molt during the summer fall after their first winter. Molt can take 6 weeks to 3 months depending on how many feathers they are replacing. Molt takes a LOT of energy and protein. most boost feed and protein levels during molt to help the birds complete better and faster.

Peahens can and do lay their first year, not many of them but early hatch birds will. I was able to hatch some yearling eggs last year and am waiting for some to develop from this year. If they were with yearling cocks your chances are almost nil, if they were with older cocks, two years or older they have a chance of being fertile.

Thanks KsKingBee,

All my peafowl were born between late March and mid July of last year, so they are all roughly a year old. Thanks for the help.

BromleyRidgeBirds

Thanks, that is helpful. We have found a total of three eggs, about one per day. It will be interesting to see if they are viable and hatch. Do you have any advice on hatching them out?

Back
Top Bottom