Surprise! What type of chicken did we hatch?

Thought I would take a minute and post some up dated pics of Bandit and Lavender. The pics were taken yesterday with my phone, so the quality isnt the best. They are about 9.5 weeks old now.

Lavender, a pullet of South American land race cross.

Lavender again.

Bandit a cock, also of a South American land race cross.

Bandit again.

Both are very inquisitive. Bandit has definitely become attached to the other chickens, he gets pretty agitated when the others are moved to the day pen before him. He has started to crow. Both have the yellow feet with silver grey sheen over the tops/fronts.

I am not so sure. Copied a picture Chookschicks posted on Yashars thread of the momma...Houdina.

she has same kind of comb....add to that that Houdini is probably half silkie...

so until Houdini starts crowing....or laying eggs....going to keep hoping!
idunno.gif

Hope is a good thing! I guess I was thinking more about that there was so much comb development at such a young age. Especially when I consider that the Silkies that are a month older have little or no comb and with the first two crosses(Bandit and Lavender) the comb development was early with the cock and just now noticeable in the pullet. Really safe bet though is the crow or the egg. And if its the crow it may not be too long as Bandit started crowing prior to 9 weeks, so maybe we'll know in 3 weeks or so.

SparkyCrows~ I love the pics of your Kansas Painted White Plumes(project) birds! They are soooo unusually and combine some of my favorite chicken characteristics!. Do they have some South American land races in their background? They are just beautiful!

Just thought I would post a couple pics of our Libra. She(?) may be a he, but for now we are still hoping. She is a South American land race and Silkie cross, one of two that my friend, Mammasbabies and I have.

She is even more plumed/crested now. She has the Silkie 5 toes and appears to have a winterized face, with perhaps a beard/muffs. Her feet are feathered and black skinnned, I believe. Here she is 7 weeks old. Libra's carriage appears very Silkie-like at times. She is my DD's favorite chick.

Thats her with her head up, very inquisitive.

In this one Libra is clear over on the right. You can see a bit of the Silkie carriage, I have noticed, in this pic.

I will try to post some newer pics of Lavender and Bandit in the next few days if the weather stays sunny....tho I think we are supposed to be getting more rain again.

BonneTerre - PLEASE SEND US YOUR RAIN!!! We're having to haul water until the well re-charges. *gulp* it will recharge, won't it?? There actually aren't any SoAms in the immediate genetic makeup of the White Plumes. It was a total surprise to have something looking like a totally different project hatch from SoAm eggs! There couldn't have been any paternity accidents in this case as the birds are housed in totally separate, enclosed facilities.

South American composite

Sparky~ I would send you some of the rain but somehow I dont think it would work like you would want it to, lol, it would probably dump out over the rockies and then we would both be without! I will admit that most years we have rain from the beginning/middle of October until around July fourth so we might be able to share. Now I dont want you to think that is a constant 9 months of rain, we get breaks in the rain, they are called showers!<grin>
I am sorry to hear about your well. I have always been fortunate to live where water is readily available, or at least accessible with a bit more well. When we lived on the other side of the mountains, that would be the East side of the Cascades, there were people who lived 60-80 miles from where we were that didnt have water. EVER! They paid for the water and hauled it each week to where they lived! They put it in HUGE tanks or cisterns. They didnt have wells because either the water table was too deep to reach economically or there just wasnt a water table in the area. A friend used to joke that if they drilled for a water they would reach magma before they hit water! Coming from over here on the West side of the Cascades where water is plentiful(sometimes TOO plentiful) most of the time, I was totally flabergasted by such things!
Anyway, hope your well recharges soon and that the weather cooperates with some rain or at least less heat!
I really love that little South Am. Composite hen-she is the same one that Renee' has pics of looking broody in a corner somewhere, isnt she? If you look at prior posts to this thread and look on the closed thread for Yashar's auction for South American hatching eggs you will see pics of Renee's floozy hen, Houdina, her offspring Lavender and Bandit(from our first hatch) and Libra and Houdini(from our second hatch). I really like the look of them all. You are right that these South Ams are all different but very attractive! I must admit that I love the look of Houdina, but I really love that little speckled hen pic of Renee's. Your Plumes look lovely, I think I want some....but I guess I better get the house built before they come....we better not tell the DH that if he builds it they will come or I wont get anything built for animals ever again!
Of the South Ams and land races, I really like the Sweet Potatoes and the Huastecs that Yashar has, lol, and the pearl and Snowy Nikkei's that Renee has, and the Plumes that you have would fit right in with their looks even if their genetics are a from elsewhere. Dang! I think I may have to do some chicken math! But I think it will have to wait until another time, as I am feeling the pull of sleepy time now....more current pics of the crosses soon....if the weather cooperates.

Back
Top Bottom