Surprised Possum!

Oct 3, 2017
I'm in Indiana.. and daylight is fading faster each day.. This afternoon I let the girls out to free range and was a bit late closing up the coop for the night. Granted it is only 7pm now. But about 20 mins ago I went out to close up the coop and found a huge possum in there... Most of the hens were up on the roosts there were only 2 at the feeders. So I think I got there just in time. BUT! LESSON LEARNED!

Welcome! I do hope that you buried that opossum! If not you will have repeat visitations. Not a good thing!
The poor little guys have a hard time, especially in winter, and love the chicken feed, eggs, and chickens.
I had one in my coop two nights ago for the same reason. He's now underground where he belongs.
Mary

I've had that happen before. Possum tend to prefer eating feed or eggs to killing a chicken but they can climb really well and are quite capable of killing a chicken on the roost. Well done!

This is a reason I like walking into my coop to lock up and open up. I find things in there that I'd probably miss if I didn't walk in.

In my past, I too have had the displeasure of witnessing an opossum climbing out of my unsecured run with a bird in its mouth…

Seems to happen more often in the colder months when more readily available food sources become scarce.

Another fine reason to secure the run…

I'm in Indiana.. and.... about 20 mins ago I went out to close... the coop and found a huge possum in there...

Instead of icing this big possum, you should have called Mr. Henry Bell of Clanton Alabama. Mr. Bell is the CEO of the Possum Growers and Breeders Association of America.
These fine folks are always on the lookout for promising new stud possums.:rolleyes:

You may remember seeing the PGBAA's logo on the front bumpers of cars and trucks back in the 70s, they read; "EAT MORE POSSUM" :lol:

https://www.bizapedia.com/al/possum-growers-and-breeders-association-of-america-inc.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom