Surprised!

yhuang22

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Middle River, MD
My girls would be laying in min Jan. I was counting days down. Yesterday when I went to feed them, 2 eggs! Yes! My two quiet-don't-like-to-be-messed-with barred Rock girls!

I ran upstairs to and called my husband and our 3 year old daughter. He's getting her ready to the bed. The way I 'called' him, he thought some chickens had escapted.

The eggs are white, tiny, with some blood spots. Poor thing. I remember what's like to have my two babies. Imaging doing that every day!

We took some pictures and cooked them. They tasted more 'fluffy' than usual. What a treat! Especially for the Ecomony today.

I thought no one would be interested. But to very few people I told, they all want to try the eggs! I guess, not too bad to start laying eggs before Christmas!

Jean
(I have been a silent reader... finally decided to join! I love this place!)
big_smile.png

Congratulations, and Welcome,

I have just 4 chickens and after all I had heard I did not expect them to start laying until January, but they have all started already,

It is so exciting isn't it?

I bet your little girl will love that too.

Jena

You're so lucky... I only have one hen, and when she lays, the eggs are HUGE and delicious. She's sure fussy about laying though... I haven't had an egg in 2 weeks. I wonder if it has anything to do with the frigid temperatures here. Or her two new male roommates...

I haven't seen any signs of breeding at all (not that I'd know what to look for!). She doesn't look stressed, and she's way bigger than my bantam RIR... could he even get on her?

I was so suprised when I got my first egg. I really hadn't been expecting it so early, so I actually thought my DH had put the egg in there as a joke on me.

It's like christmas every day, the excitement of egg checking never wore off for me!

I called up all my friends, I took a bunch of pictures, and showed it to everyone who came over. I guess I sounded like a proud Grandma.

Quote:
Two roosters, one hen... I know, I know... but my chicken was left alone when her companion was killed a couple of weeks ago, and we had a cold snap coming and the coop she's living in right now isn't insulated, and I was desperate. I got two roosters that were slated for the chopping block and they cuddle at night (often the two roosters in one nesting box and my hen on her own, mind you...).

Back
Top Bottom