Surrogacy

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PotterWatch, Dec 23, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Has anyone here been a surrogate? We have some close friends who many years ago asked if I would be a surrogate when the time came that they are ready to have children. I agreed without hesitation. We discussed it briefly today and it looks like they will be ready within a couple years. I would still definitely do it, but I do have some concerns that I am not as young as I once was (now that song is going to be stuck in my head). I am not yet considered advanced maternal age (I'm 32), but I am overweight. At least I have some time to get back to a more healthy weight! My pregnancies have been very good in the past. No morning sickness or anything with either of my boys. I did have leg cramps with my first, but nothing more than that. My deliveries were also good with my second just taking a long time, but no other complications. I'm hoping that any other pregnacy would be about on par with the first two. I don't know for sure that this will happen, but I would love to hear any experiences...

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't know much about it but be sure that they cover your medical costs and provide you with life insurance and some sort of long term disability insurance in case there are complications. If anything goes wrong, you will need to be sure that your family is provided for.

3. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    wow. i'm a guy and i'm very impressed to read this. what a wonderful gift! to put your life on hold for the duration of a pregnancy for your friends is awesome!

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    No advice. Just [​IMG]. You are a great friend!

5. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    You're doing a beautiful thing xx

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I don't know for sure if it will happen but I know that they really do want to have kids, they are just waiting until they buy a house (their current condo just wouldn't be big enough), and when one of them has finished a masters degree in early special education (the other is a lawyer). They are great people and I know they will be wonderful parents as long as they get the chance.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It is a lot to think about. It is not just about being a good person or how great they would be as parents, any pregnancy involves risks to the mother and those must be considered as well. I myself could never be a surrogate for several reasons.

8. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    I tried to get pregnant as a surrogate but its a long story as to why it didn't work out. at any rate may I recommend http://surromomsonline.com/ as a tremendous resource well worth checking out?

Good luck [​IMG]

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:All I have to say is you are a saint. I feel honored to know someone as selfless as you. I feel ashamed that I can't give something as wonderful and special as you offered your friends. No first hands experience... just my unabashed admiration. [​IMG]

10. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks for the resource!

Quote:You are right, there is a lot to consider. We are certainly not taking this lightly. My husband and I have discussed this in depth for several years now and we have both come to the same conclusion. I do appreciate any comments on things to think about because you never know what we may not have thought of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by