Survey about your CHICKENS!!!

What made you choose a particular breed of chicken?
I chose the D'uccles because I thought they were weird when I was a kid and didn't get any till I was much into adulthood. The dual purpose/egg layer chickens was just luck as it didn't really matter to me what I got.

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting?
Jersey Giants-Stomp eggs, Eat like a horse (twice the amount of other dual purpose), So So egg prod., Step on chicks, I just do not like them.

RIR-Kinda more stupid than the average chicken, I had two kill themselves the same day from flipping small bowls over their head and laying out in the sun and dying.

Leghorns-Schizophrenic (crossbred with a slightly more docile chicken have made some great small layers that are less crazy)

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock?
Sabelpoot/Booted Bantams, Serama, Other colors of D'uccles
Maybe Speckled Sussex to replace the JG's.

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why?

No.

Last edited:
What made you choose a particular breed of chicken?

After some discussion with others who have mixed and "pedigree" flocks I decided that I didn't want all one type in my flock so I decided to play "Noah" and picked two of several (Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Silver Wyandotte, Gold Wyandotte, Delaware, Easter Egger and Welsummer) at the end of the first year I lost two to "sudden death" and one to a hawk.

This season's flock, in an adjacent pen to the main run, contains 6 red sex linked and 3 Rhodies that were rescued from a lady at the office who had taken on too much and couldn't keep up with them. In the pen at the house and ready to move in with the rescue chicks are 1 Barred Rock, 3 Australorps and 3 Welsummers. This was supposed to be 2, 2, and 2 but the hatchery screwed up the order and broke my pattern that I will have to correct next spring when I order some guineas.

Besides not wanting my chicks to all look alike I wanted the eggs to be different as well and I wanted them to be compatible with each other and so far that has worked out perfectly.

I don't have a regret for any of the chicks other than to say that the rescue birds had three roosters (Rhodies) that I was able to train pretty quickly and then give away to people who wanted friendly roos in their flocks - hope that worked out for them

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock?

I'll attempt to balance the flock with a Buff Orpington, Silver Wyandotte and a Barred Rock when I order my guineas next spring. If I lose any others this season then I'll add that to the order as well.

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why? I'd made up my mind that I didn't want a roo in my hen house as long as I had a mixed flock so, no, none of what I said here was affected by the sex of the birds.

I will say that the lone Buff is a bit broody and I have to take her off the nest twice a day for about 4 days to get her to mix with the other girls out in the fields. She eventually gets past that point for about 6 weeks before entering it again.

Other than that, I'm happy with my choices and please with how they are interacting with each other and me.

Back
Top Bottom