Survey about your CHICKENS!!!

kees

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 5, 2008
What made you choose a particular breed of chicken?
jumpy.gif

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting?
hit.gif

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock?
love.gif

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why?
old.gif

Suzy

Our first chickens were straight run Buff Orpingtons. My husband (long-term boyfriend at the time) and I were looking through a hatchery catalog and he saw them and said, "Let's get some of those!" So, we did. They are very friendly, easy-going chickens and are a pretty color.

I got some game chickens one time and then found out that they were used for cock fighting. Then, whenever somebody came over to the house they thought I was a cock-fighter. I really loved them, but we made the decision to get rid of them because of that.

Sure!! I'm a bantam lover, but my husband like the standards. I'm in the process of collecting good quality standard Cochins (because I like the way they look, and large fowl because that's what he likes). I'm also planning to get some Brown Red Modern Bantams.

I recommended you get 2-3 silkie hens to use as natural incubators. They go broody so much, so they work out really well.

I grew up with Rocks and Leghorns on the farm.
When I decided to expand my horizons over the past few years...

Orpingtons because I heard they were the friendliest - I LOVE them.

Silkies - they were different and I needed brooders.

Wyandottes - heard they made a good dual purpose bird.

Light Brahmas - size and read good things about them.

Wyandottes - Mean a$$ hens.

Rosecombs - 6 eggs in my incubator right now

Sebrights - my son wants to try his hand with them.

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why?

Worth repeating...Wyandottes - Mean a$$ hens.
Love my roo but I don't know why I keep him. He is low on the pecking order and I certainly don't want anymore. I guess hubby doesn't want him to become stew!

We picked Araucanas for the blue eggs and their different look in body style.
Barnevelders are a rare breed struggling to make it here in the US and we like their looks. Roos are nice big stout boys with glossy feathers!
GLW, sex links, SLW, JG, Rocks (I know I am forgetting some)... all are good layers of pretty eggs. EE's have gorgeous eggs. Variety of colors are interesting on eggs and birds.
Marans have wonderful eggs and they are pretty birds. We really like the wheatens but our cuckoos are super sweet and friendly.
Silkies make good broodies and fancy yard candy as well as our Cochins. The bantys are cute, sweet and lovable.
Welsummers are pretty and have nice eggs. The roos are gorgeous!

The Salmon Faverolles are nice birds but they lay only a medium egg and haven't been popular with our egg customers or chick customers. DD loves them and are now her project.

I am only adding the buff Brahmas this year for eye candy in the yard. No roo with them since I don't plan to raise any.
I am adding only to the already existing breed flocks.

We chose Rhode Island Reds as they are said to be good dual purpose birds. They are great layers but gee whiz they are NAAAASTY to eat. As tough as an old boot left outside for 3 years.
We also have 50 Boschveld laying chickens. The Boschveld Chicken is a cross between three indigenous chicken breeds of Africa: Venda, Matabele and Ovambo. All good production and survival traits of the three breeds were selected to make the Boschveld Chicken a no fuss poultry breed to withstand and produce in all conditions of Africa and they're great for keeping the tick population down on our cows and sheep.They have inbred hardiness to withstand poultry diseases (which are rife here at the moment)
I have 1400 Cobb 500 broilers not worth mentioning as they are just a pain in the butt...and UUUUUgly

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting? No. well..ok... the Cobbs

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock? A golden egg layer...

We chose each of our breeds for different reasons. White Leghorns for lots of good eggs, Danish Brown Leghorns for their looks and also eggs. Rhode Island Reds for lots of brown eggs, Buff Orpingtons for brown eggs, broodiness if we want to hatch our own eggs, and heard they had great personalities. Easter Eggers for colored eggs and also hopefully a good personality. Silkies for being broody to hatch our own eggs, and 'cause they're evil. Oh, and Fiona my black Frizzle...well she was an impulse buy cause she was cute
wink.png

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting? Not yet, but they're still young.

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock? I would love to get some of the awesome BBS and Lav Orpington eggs once my broodies are ready to work!

well with the Polish my parents ordered hens from McMurray one year and let me and my sister pick the breeds. My sis took the easter eggers, I took the Polish assortment. They just looked so cool. That was when I was in the 1st gradeI been hooked on them ever since (have now been out of college a full year).

the American Games I got into a long way. started with Old English bantams, progressed to largefowl Old English, then to American Games. the hardiness, color, the fearless nature and intelligence of this breed has made it my second favorite large breed of chicken.

Lakenvelders! hens were egg eating fiends and the rooster was like a Tasmanian Devil.

there's a couple that if I had the time and space to properly breed them I would get, among them Madagascar Games, Rosecomb bantams, Thai Games, and to get back into them big ole Light Brahmas (notice his size compared to the tom turkey. those pens in the background were 2' tall).

compare.jpg

Back
Top Bottom