Survey for Master's Research Paper

Would you try an upcycled, ecofriendly chicken feed if it were competitively priced?

• Yes

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lindsay622

Hatching
Apr 16, 2021
Hi backyard chicken community! I am undertaking a feasibility study on upcycled chicken food for my Master's paper. Essentially I am creating a recipe using the spent grains and yeast from the beer-making process (no alcohol included!) If you could take a moment to answer the question below, then follow the link below for one more quick online poll, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for your time.

Survey Question Link

Cheers,
Lindsay (fellow feathered dinosaur owner)

Last edited:
I think I submitted my response. It's kinda hard to tell. Two of my top priorities was tied, so that was kinda hard to go by. Price, or location. The nutrition is also very important. Currently, I'm buying a more expensive grain because my birds need more nutrition than other birds I've had in the past.

I'm not going to register to take a survey.
But hopefully you have the nutrient values, including vitamins/minerals/amino acids, meticulously listed.

Interesting topic for your Master's project! I have worked for brewhouses and we always sell our mash to local farms after getting the wort. Feeding mash to cattle has been a well used method for many years by farmers. I answered your survey. Goodluck on your research project. When are you presenting?

I think that it's quite possible that in the near future, from a marketing standpoint, "sustainable is the new organic".

There would be a significant market for a chicken feed made from diverted waste products as opposed to purposely planted, chemically farmed corn and soy that is often shipped long distances to the consumer.

Brewery waste as a base is a good start. The chickens can't get complete nutrition from just that, but if you start adding meat and fish meal from waste from those industries, fruit and veggie food waste for vitamins, etc...you could have a complete food that "upcycles" waste streams. It could be potentially produced closer to consumers, reducing the miles it take get from "factory to beak".

It'd take a good amount of energy to heat pasteurize, dry, grind, and pelletize...could it be done with renewables? Maybe!

I think there's a company out there making dog treats out of some invasive creature...an aquatic beaver-rat type thing, I believe. What about other invasive plant and animal species? Could they be incorporated? Everything from wild boar to lake weeds could be potential nutrient sources.

Carbon-Negative Chicken Feed? Might just be the future...

Back
Top Bottom