surviving a predator attack

The trouble is, ducks are prey animals, and prey animals hide their pain. It may be he's in pain but hiding it.
I'd suggest you pick him up and kinda feel him all over. Poke and prod him everywhere, especially along his spine, to see if you can find any damaged areas or areas of pain. That might give you a clue as to what's wrong, and help you figure out if he's in pain or just quiet.

The trouble is, ducks are prey animals, and prey animals hide their pain. It may be he's in pain but hiding it.
I'd suggest you pick him up and kinda feel him all over. Poke and prod him everywhere, especially along his spine, to see if you can find any damaged areas or areas of pain. That might give you a clue as to what's wrong, and help you figure out if he's in pain or just quiet.
Thanks. Other than the minor-looking injuries (confirmed to be minor by a vet), nothing is visible or noticeable when holding him. I think the lack of movement can be explained by his leg injury. For now will keep doing my best to keep him fed, safe, and relatively comfortable.

Two months after my duck was killed and drake injured I thought I'd give a quick update. It seems safe to say my drake will survive despite the fact he is still limping. He's mostly hanging out with the four ducklings I got, now adult-sized, and even sometimes bullies them or me! A good sign.

Back
Top Bottom