Surviving Minnesota!

We found it much cheaper to call up our local feed mill that is associated with Cenex and have them mix us 1,000-1500 lbs at a time when we have our Crosses growing out. We are now going to have them grind us some layer feed for the winter but are first going to try sprouting whole grains instead because my husband's family grain farms all around our house so we are going to just get grain from them and sprout it. Will be much cheaper. We also feed a lot of kitchen scraps suitable for chickens. I found they LOVE beets. I cut up over grown Cukes for them also. We also have our hens out in large runs so they eat lots of grass and scratch in the tilled end of the garden that did not get planted this year. Not sure that there will be many worms left for next year there! But the bugs are not so bad in the garden area anymore either!
We have done some research on mixing our own feed as well. We found that Heim's Feed Mill in St. Cloud has a concentrate that you can mix with corn, oats, soybean meal, oyster shell and grit. We have all the grains as well. I will keep everyone posted how this works....we are finishing off our bags from Heims first.

Yes, you need to keep it down and away from air. Air will spoil it.

Do you have a wrench you can grind down? Otherwise, Harbor freight has everything for single use.
My husband went hog wild about making kraut a few years ago and bought a crock called a Harshner. It has a lid that sent in a well and you fill the well with water and it keeps it sealed yet allows air to escape, you just have to keep water in the well. It comes with special weights to set on top of the kraut too after you lay a couple of layers of large leaves over it. He adds garlic sometimes or juniper berries, apple, pear, or caraway. There is all kinds of stuff to add to it if you desire. We have smaller crocks too for doing things like green beans or whatever veggie you want, they will all process with lactic fermentation.
To tamp it down, his mother gave him and old sanded bared baseball bat made of oak. It works really well and getting some of the juices out of the kraut to kickstart it. Of course, there is pickling salt added as well.
I would never eat kraut until my husband started making it, now I love the stuff.

I am making a tomato sauce today. I like it thick enough use in chili and other things. I do not flavor it, I debated adding some jalapenos to some, but decided against it. If I keep it just tomatoes it is more versatile.

I use a hot water bath. Tomatoes are easy to can. I just heat, and dump the tomatoes in jars (sanitized and hot of course). I put Critic acid into each jar to retard spoilage. I have used lemon juice but prefer the acid.

I give them about a 20 minute bath and they seal right away.

I have a couple old kraut cutters. I just alternate cabbage a little salt then more cabbage in crocks. I put a plastic bag on the top of that cabbage in the crock. Then I put a plate on top of the plastic then put a rock on the plate. I pour water on top of that to get a good seal and let it sit in the corner.

I tried the jar method last year. It was a waste of a good jar.

Good luck.

Edited to note I did not copy Rhetts I just answered her here.
I've never heard of adding citric acid to tomatoes, They have so much acid themselves I wouldn't think it would be necessary. I have never added anything to them and have never had any spoil on me.

Canning! I have grapes, pears, apples, cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers sitting on my counter waiting to be processed. I love canning and do way more than the average person, but yeah. A bit overwhelmed at the moment . . . First up is salsa. Then bread and butter pickles. Then grape jelly. Pears in extra light syrup. Applesauce and apple pie! See you next week!

Sweetie is laying. She is my only olive egger.

How long until your chickens lay their first egg? I have no idea but for us the magic number seems to be 19 weeks and 3 days
bow.gif
for one beautiful girl. Who laid this egg? We have absolutely no way to know for sure. However the darker feathers around the area suggest the Wyandotte. To us this is the most beautiful egg in the world right now. The family saw me turn into an 8 year old girl. I squeaked, I squealed, I laughed, and almost cried from the joy. I'm absolutely a goober and sometimes a blubbering one to boot. It's ever so nice to be greeted with such a beautiful gift. #GrowYourOwn
wee.gif

[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=1D2129]How long until your chickens lay their first egg? I have no idea but for us the magic number seems to be 19 weeks and 3 days[/COLOR] :bow [COLOR=1D2129]for one beautiful girl. Who laid this egg? We have absolutely no way to know for sure. However the darker feathers around the area suggest the Wyandotte. To us this is the most beautiful egg in the world right now. The family saw me turn into an 8 year old girl. I squeaked, I squealed, I laughed, and almost cried from the joy. I'm absolutely a goober and sometimes a blubbering one to boot. It's ever so nice to be greeted with such a beautiful gift. [/COLOR][COLOR=365899][COLOR=4267B2]#[/COLOR]GrowYourOwn[/COLOR]:weee
You are not alone in squealing with delight!

Franksgreengirl Grats on the first egg.

I have a full dozen of pullet eggs I gathered in last couple days! I put them in a carton just for the fun of it. I guess we will use them instead of selling them. I hate to sell such small eggs...

Here is why I add citric acid to tomatoes:

foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/preservation/UWEX_addacidtomatoes.pdf

This actually explains when and why you should do it. A couple years ago when I started canning I looked up instructions to make sure I was doing it right and found this info. I was not sure of myself, and I do not remember my grandma adding anything but salt.

It is an interesting read even if you decide to not add anything.

Back
Top Bottom