Surviving Minnesota!

Good morning chickeners . . . . Another beautiful morning in the banana belt . . . . my 'dah' moment has already happened this morning - i did not observe/know that the position of their tails had anything to do with their lives. More to watch for. Rosie is out of the nursery so I have removed all barriers and she has her chicks out of the coop. Life progresses. As I have stated - she used to me one of my least favorites in the flock and her position has been elevated greatly.
And all those roos in one coop - with all those hens - how does that work out? Does each roo form their own flock and they do not mess around with each others girls?
Still learning - obviously.

Glad you are getting that moisture ILL.
Ralphie - I can come out for a morning or afternoon this next week if you 'talk' to me about it. Approximately four hours to do whatever. Thurs. is the only afternoon I am not available. PM me. or call. I don't care what it is that you want to have me do - anything.

. . . . my 'dah' moment has already happened this morning - i did not observe/know that the position of their tails had anything to do with their lives. More to watch for.
I keep trying to check tail angles on my newest birds, but the little brats just keep their tails clamped to their butts because they're low on the pecking order & get picked on. Stinkers. Hopefully their tails will come up in a few months once they're old enough to boss around some others.

Ivie, I have a bunch of Roos, they work out their position and it is pretty peaceful. The occasional rape occurs but other than that it is all fine.

You will see one rooster knock another off a hen now and then, but nothing serious. You can really tell who is ahead of whom on the pecking order by the tails.

The next Bert,,,,,Aka "Sunday Dinner" is resting comfortably on death row now, I am hoping he can be rehabilitated.

I find the Roo talk interesting because I have 2 Dominique Roos and 2 Buckeyes that can not be together. They go after each other then they pull in the rhode island Red and start with cannibalism. The Dom's are the worst at picking a fight.

I find the Roo talk interesting because I have 2 Dominique Roos and 2 Buckeyes that can not be together. They go after each other then they pull in the rhode island Red and start with cannibalism. The Dom's are the worst at picking a fight.
Man, you have nasty chooks.
I have 12ish roosters, they all get along except for one.... He's on death row. The brat won't leave the lead rooster alone.

Well if I keep all the tops I am planning on saving this fall I will have around 9 Roos. 2 Silkie Roos, 1 EE roo of Ralphies, 1 (hopefully) Orp roo and the rest Buckeyes. I am not culling may Buckeye Roos this summer unless they are mean. I have 6ish young Buckeyes that I will keep until breeding season next spring as long as I have room.

Mnchickmom I haven't had any issues with my Buckeye Roos being mean to other Roos other than the first pecking order fight. They got along with Fatfoot and my tiny Bantam Cochin roo. All it takes is one fight and nobody messes with the Buckeyes... My Bucks have always been my lead roosters... They fight until the other roo quits and after that they are all good it seems

Speaking of my tiny Bantam Cochin roo... He is now dead. I found him dead in the stream. Looks like he went in and got stuck. I actually think my Guineas were chasing him again and he ran into the water because he had always been scared of the stream... I have seen other birds run from the Guineas to the stream but they fly across it... Hei Hei couldn't fly with all his fluff so he ight have tried and failed...

Speaking of my tiny Bantam Cochin roo... He is now dead. I found him dead in the stream. Looks like he went in and got stuck. I actually think my Guineas were chasing him again and he ran into the water because he had always been scared of the stream... I have seen other birds run from the Guineas to the stream but they fly across it... Hei Hei couldn't fly with all his fluff so he ight have tried and failed...
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom