Surviving Minnesota!

Morning, I slept in, but only because I was out late and then watched TV too late into the night.....

I have a question for the Minnesota people. What kind of internet is available in your area? What speed?

I need eggs! I need babies. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but by this time last year I had 2 hatches done and a third on it's way.

The legbars are extremely troubling I have gotten 2 blue eggs in the last 2 weeks.

I agree the Legbars from Orrock Township are slackers....not an egg yet from the 2 hens.

My Buff Orpingtons have all but shutdown....and fertility was a big fat zero. I got one hatch from them.

Rhode Island Reds - I have a breeding trio....I am guaranteed 1 egg a day and about half the time there are 2 eggs a day.

Buckeyes - Also a breeding trio - I get about 6 eggs a week.

Toads - Also a breeding trio. - I get one egg every other day. Then on Saturday I got 2 eggs and my DH dropped the egg going from the pen to the egg dip and to be set. He felt horrible.

This is my first year hatching in January/February....Wow it is not for the faint of heart....or the unmotivated!

I agree the Legbars from Orrock Township are slackers....not an egg yet from the 2 hens.

My Buff Orpingtons have all but shutdown....and fertility was a big fat zero. I got one hatch from them.

Rhode Island Reds - I have a breeding trio....I am guaranteed 1 egg a day and about half the time there are 2 eggs a day.

Toads - Also a breeding trio. - I get one egg every other day. Then on Saturday I got 2 eggs and my DH dropped the egg going from the pen to the egg dip and to be set. He felt horrible.

This is my first year hatching in January/February....Wow it is not for the faint of heart....or the unmotivated!
I am getting exactly one PC egg per day from two hens, and nada from the other 20 slacker butts... good thing I'm not trying to hatch anything.

Where did you get your Brahma's?? They look better than some that I've seen. :)

I ordered them from Purely Poultry in Wisconsin. Was the only place I could get to ship 3 instead of the minimum 15. Of course they sent 4 so I now have a rooster ;)

I have noticed when looking around at people's "brahmas" that most of them don't even look like brahmas (no leg/feet feathers, colors that brahmas don't come in, etc). So I don't know if I lucked out or what. It definitely had nothing to do with skill or research on my part :)

Maybe it is because Orrock Township chickens feel entitled and think they have no reason to lay eggs-----OR they meet up with an Alberta Township rooster that has them scared to death of being mugged and raped...:lau:lau:lau

Did you use the broken toad egg to your advantage? Playing off his guilt to get a new whatever you wanted?

We were suppose to get snow around 3am according the the weather guy that lives in my Iphone....

Now he is saying between Noon and 8pm we have a 30-60% chance of snow. I am hoping he is wrong. While I like winter snows normally we went into the freeze with the river and meadows flooded over the banks. Snow this year would just contribute to flooding in Elk River and downstream, I am afraid.

Yes. Those blues, lavenders :), and the little black are Jerry’s fine birds. It is now easier than ever to get chickens for me. Since the Segler cabin is 5 minutes from me, I’m totally spoiled with fine Ameraucanas delivered almost to my doorstep. And they lay! 2nd spring on 3 of those --and they are my best layers.

Last edited:
Yes. Those blues, lavenders ) and the little black are jerry’s Fine birds. It is now easier than ever to get chickens for me. Since the Segler cabin is 5 Minutes from me, I’m totally spoiled with fine ameraucanas delivered almost to my doorstep. And they lay! 2nd spring on 3 of those and they are my best layers.
5 minutes! You lucky dog!

Just think in 6 months we will be getting fresh tomatoes . Going to try Lupine flowers this year . I see they do well up north . They hate IL heat . So the packet says sow where you want them . They do not transplant well .

Holm. you will have to explain to the Southie what a ice house is. They ain't all that swift down there and think it is a place to buy cold beer and Ice.
I know what one is :tongue but I still can't believe people do it.
An Icehouse is a big well insulated box that has holes in the floor where we can drill holes in ice and fish out of!
That's just craziness.

Back
Top Bottom