Surviving Minnesota!

I had a rooster that needed to be dealt with.
From Feathers
white_leghorn_cockerel_x7312003_07-31-2020-001-jpg.2285350

to Featherless
chicken_x8102296_08-10-2020-001-jpg.2285358

to Food preparation
chicken_in_pot_x8102298_08-10-2020-001-jpg.2285359

to Food
chicken_noodle_soup_x8102302_08-10-2020-001-jpg.2285360

chicken_noodle_soup_x8102303_08-10-2020-001-jpg.2285361

It was delicious!
What a beautiful progression!
This is what people on BYC need to know about the extra cockerels they get when they thought they were getting pullets.
Pick the nice guy to stay and the rest of the jiggers: this!

What a beautiful progression!
This is what people on BYC need to know about the extra cockerels they get when they thought they were getting pullets.
Pick the nice guy to stay and the rest of the jiggers: this!

My current Rooster Flock tends to disagree.

However, the girls in the flock would agree, as do my grandkids.

It is possible I have some spoiled birds of both sexes. My newest plan for culling is too allow nature do it, with my help.

We are feeding them pure corn during Chicken TV hour, during which the WW has a beer, and I have an”truly” or sparkling mineral water. I figure the livers should get fat and give out on some of the birds.

Or the turkeys will kill some of the roosters. One rooster, even after a stint in Rooster Jail, is still chasing the turkey hens. He was released early because of jail overcrowding.

Last night, he started a fight with a turkey hen that refused to give up her corn. She puffed up and the fight was on. For you non-turkey people, turkeys are very vocal. She started making the pissed off mad turkey hen noise while fighting this rooster. The rooster tried a feet first attack on the hen. Three Toms, took offense at this and attacked the rooster. He ran and they gave chase. I thought it was funny, until the WW started acting like a mad hen and clucking at me about having too many roosters and “I need to do something about it”.

It appears pointing out the plucker and axe to her is “not doing something”. Who knew that?

I do have some smart hens that have adopted techniques to avoid “gang-bangs”. One CLB has adopted the “constantly broody” or “I have PMS” method. She is constantly, clucking like a broody and walking around puffed up. No rooster is brave enough to try her. The thing is she is about 5-6 years old and might lay 4 eggs a year because of menopause. But it works for her.

Another Hen, Thelma, is a black toad, she has adopted the “eat under Ralphie’s feet” technique. Being a toad she is kind of ugly this time of the year. She has a dozen feathers or so and has a “Matronly figure”. The toads have a Dominque rooster that loves them. He protects them, from the other roosters, he has a thing for the big girls. He even packed his bags and moved out of the real coop to move in with the big girls.

Thelma will hang by the rooster and “Louise”, the White toad. She hangs by the edge of the corn banquet, then makes a mad dash for me, and gets between my legs. I keep an ice cream bucket of corn there. She only eats out of the bucket, knowing I will chase the roosters away from her. If a rooster eats out of the bucket. She whines to me until I chase it away. The main offender is “Chirpy” who just likes to hang by us and never seems to join in on the Rooster games with girls gang-bang.

The technique might have changed last night though. I was talking to the WW, and not paying attention to Thelmas whining. Next thing I know Thelma is on the arm of my chair whiny at me quite loudly. It appears my duty is to now keep my hand full of corn so she can eat from it.

If any of you are interested in helping my rooster situation by rehoming some, come and get them. I don’t even care if you move them to freezer camp. I only have half a dozen I wouldn’t part with, Hobbles, the two colorful mutts, Tweety, Chirpy (who is working on moving back into the living room, and two really good looking Doms who I want to keep incase I decide to breed for showing some time. If you came when I wasn’t home the WW might let you have them even. She is threatening to put an ad on Craigslist for the Asian population for Free roosters.

Back
Top Bottom