Surviving Minnesota!

No kidding?! So you got two feral swarms? Wow. Do they live separately or hive boxes together? Did they try to swarm again once you got them boxed up? I can read Ralphie’s thread too... it might be in there... I’m on page 2...
You will catch up . Caught one early June and one early July . June hive did good but the July hive has struggled . Separate hives . Since I mostly had new frames and foundation they had to build a lot of comb .

I guess what I mean is are they territorial like you need to put the boxes across the property from one another or can they be content box beside each box.
Was telling dH about your bee suggestion and he gave me a nervous sounding resounding... ‘No’. He’s no flipping fun...he thinks he is but he really isn’t... 😉

I guess what I mean is are they territorial like you need to put the boxes across the property from one another or can they be content box beside each box.
Was telling dH about your bee suggestion and he gave me a nervous sounding resounding... ‘No’. He’s no flipping fun...he thinks he is but he really isn’t... 😉
No they can be close . Mine are not but I kept where I caught them . Will move them sometime .

Many large apiaries keep their hives within a couple feet of each other. My hives are about 10' apart.

Jerry I’m so glad you were able to get good progress. I explained this cabin is really your project. Milled by you. And he understood. I think when you have anything construction where you want just a part done he’ll be a great guy to call. They just had a baby girl two days ago. I’m sure he’s glad for the work.

Beautiful coop and run. Basically when chickens have feathers they have their protection against cold. If you pick up a feather they’ve lost look at it. It’s extraordinary design. Downy at the base for insulation and the concave rigid part to cup and hold in the heat. A roost is needed 2x4 with flat side up to allow them to cover their feet. Open water also. Extremely well designed animal for the cold. The heat is what can get them.

today is my last full day with chickens. For a while anyways. I have a home for both hens. There’s about 30 hens in the new flock and she has a separation ‘get to know ya’ section for newbies/youngsters. She recently did a thinning so the flock dynamic is in upheaval and it’s a good time to bring in Loretta and Pearl.Among other chickens they’ll get to see cows, pigs, goats turkeys and possibly get mugged by a guinea. I’m not worried about Pearl and Loretta one bit. And the comfort of a large flock will be a stress reducer for them.

View attachment 2332363
View attachment 2332370

Erli how nerve wrecking but glad it was one stint then outta there.
I took a two mile walk with dog today. Needs to be a regular habit I think. So outta shape!
Layers how fun to have you pop back in. Good luck in school! Enjoy it!

I covered my deck tomato plants. It got down there but I had a productive year and didn’t want to lose the plants yet.
This yellow pear variety is like eating candy.
View attachment 2332373
Apple trees are loaded. The first one hasn’t fallen off. I think it’s 3rd weekend of september I usually grab them off. So next weekend I guess. Pribably good enough now too... I don’t know...
View attachment 2332375
View attachment 2332378
Well folks I almost feel like without chickens I won’t belong. Such an extraordinary part of my life for 8 1/2 years. If you don’t mind... I’m not quite ready to lose my chicken people yet. I may hang out with a nature or garden picture here and there.

View attachment 2332380
Don't go, BC! We need you here! 🥰

:lau Oh Gosh. I’m on page 6 or 7 or just past and Ralphie has called out the troll of the Granola variety for posting ‘dumb farmer.’ As much as we all want that utopia the ‘dumb’ farmer’s currency is in reality and riding the fine fence line of economics and husbandry. Ralphie maybe I can keep your bees in my house. Right next to DH ...this winter..,:gig

Back
Top Bottom