Surviving Minnesota!

I was hoping that is the case. I will keep tonight's unseparated eggs away from the other coops eggs and then try to pen off my rainbows tonight. Then tomorrow I can compare the rainbow eggs to today's eggs and know what to look for going forward.

I told her that they come with no guarantees since I am not set up for segregation yet.

I can understand that! I sold 8 birds yesterday, I put the ones she wanted in a box for her, and told her the same thing. There are no guarantees, if you do not like the looks of a bird leave it here and take another. If they die it is not my fault, they are healthy when they left here, you agreed to that by taking them.

I am getting a little tougher on my chick sales.

I wonder if my hens are broken barred. If you look at those pictures you can almost see faint striping. You can't really see it when you look at them in person but in the photos here you can see that they aren't truly solid
Rainbows are usually barred . Not sure what is causing the calico look .

Ralphie,

I am pretty sure I would say that Rainbows are barred. They hens dont show the barring, but the boys are most definitely barred, unless I am misunderstanding what barring is.

My hens are pretty much a solid shade of brown/buff/tab with black spots around their necks. I would love to know what a wise chicken person would call these colors.

They are basically red columbian plus barring . So similar to Rhodebar .

yes but then the black could have come from the EE as he appears red and blue . That seems to be the source of the pea comb .

Thinking of offering a auction on some EE auto sexing eggs this weekend . Getting overrun with eggs .

Interesting, I do not see that, I thought he was black and white. It will be interesting to see what he is when he grows up.. Unfortunately, for Lucky, he is going to be. I have no need for him as a rooster. I see soup stock in his future.

Interesting, I do not see that, I thought he was black and white. It will be interesting to see what he is when he grows up.. Unfortunately, for Lucky, he is going to be. I have no need for him as a rooster. I see soup stock in his future.
I was talking about the EE roo being red and blue . Blue being a dilution of black he could have provided black to the chick . Not sure why he is or will be black . I would have thought he would have some pattern or something from the EE . The EE has to be the source of the pea comb . IDK
idunno.gif

I was talking about the EE roo being red and blue . Blue being a dilution of black he could have provided black to the chick . Not sure why he is or will be black . I would have thought he would have some pattern or something from the EE . The EE has to be the source of the pea comb . IDK
idunno.gif

Okay. I understand now. Sorry I was so dense on that.

SO an EE with a Rainbow to give him the barring and size. , The EE bringing the pea comb, dark color and dark legs. So what I thought was BA was actually the EE coloring ending up dark/black for some reason.. That makes good sense. Does the blue come from a double recessive or a recessive failure to express gene?

Screwing up the recessive with a dominant from the Rainbow could make him black if that is the case....couldn't it?

That also explains the white primaries, which made no sense if he had BA in him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom