1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    I LOVE baby chicks, but only in the summer when the mess is all outside. The last few years I've even given up on raising them myself. Mama can do it all. I do miss hatching eggs and all that entails but don't miss worrying about heat and all the rest. It is just so super easy with a mama cluck.

2 people like this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Clucks make hatching easy, BUT I hate relying on them. Too many things can go wrong. I admit I do both though.

This was taken last night:

[​IMG]

How can you pas them up? They are so cute.

I have about 20 birds in the house now. I love it. My DW not so much, but she doesn't complain as long as I keep the mess picked up and change the diapers everyday. We have these little guys set up in a cage next to my lazy Boy so they can watch TV with us. and I can watch them instead of the TV.

That is the Mama Heating Pad cave they are laying on top of instead of under. I am so happy Blooie convinced me to use them instead of heating lamps. They take a lot of the smell and mess out of chicks. The chicks loce them.

BTW I plan to put 82 eggs in on Saturday, my biggest hatch.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  3. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I will share my journey of getting this site to work better . I did a golden feather membership . That helped some . Still was having scrolling problems and typing lag . Started getting a message that shockwave flash plug in was not responding or sometimes it said crashed . So I googled it . Made by adobe . I found out how to turn it off in my laptop . Then I have been using chrome for this site . I noticed a page with the corner turned down before the address for this site . On chrome only . So I clicked on it . Told me how many cookies from this site 36 and like 356 from other sites . I was able to block or turn these off from other sites . So now it seems to be working good . I have 3 browsers now due to chasing these problems . I went from explorer to firefox then to chrome . No problems on other sites but for me chrome is working the best .Firefox I can auto delete browser history but chrome only found incognito mode . In that this site did not recognize me and I had to sign each visit . So I got out of that .

2 people like this.
  4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I posting this on another thread but will repost here to liven things up. We have been stuck on eggs, hatching, and genetics for quite a bit....

I am jot usually a big tv watcher but last night I was at my inlaws house and my FIL was watching Survivor. I've never watched it even though the spirit of the show intrigues me I just assume it is mostly fake like most reality shows.
    The reason I bring it up... 2 of the 3 teams grabbed live chickens off the supply boat at the start, kept them penned up in baskets for several days until they got fires made and promptly ate them.

I don't know how hard it would be for a chicken to free range for food (well perhaps on a leash) on a tropic island but wouldn't it be better to have some eggs every day over 1 day of protein? I know the one team had issues with red ants climbing into their beds so I know there is potential food sources for the birds.

I'm making some assumptions here that the birds are hens and of laying age, but still... What would you do??

5. duluthralphie

I went to the golden Feather and that did wonders for me. I turned off the ads and limited the other things. When my Golden Feather lapsed the setting stayed.
    I recently renewed the golden feather. This time I bought the year subscription.

The best thing is I got to become a "chicken wrangler" with the golden feather.

6. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

7. duluthralphie

I have 2 or 3 of these if you want to see what they look like in real life.

8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    a couple of mine are starting to get bare backs so I think that means they should be laying fertile eggs lol

9. lvie

Good Morning - The sun is shining! The sun is shining! Doesn't it feel like Spring is coming? I know we have a cold spell coming for a couple days next week but so what! I may not even be walking on this earth next week so I think I will enjoy today.

Just wanted to tell you that I think SC has turned the corner. It came yesterday and is persisting into today. She is awake more; she is flocking with the roos everytime I check on her (or they are with her - the roos are definitely hanging around her more); She is pecking at the chickie feed on her own more. I am making sure she gets her water and vitamins and that is about all. She is flapping her wings alot more and I let her because I just think she will get stronger. At this time I doubt that I will be able to put her in a run with other birds other than her flock mates and two roos would be too much with one hen. Ahhhh, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Have a great day! Mine will be busy.

1 person likes this.
  10. lvie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by