Surviving Minnesota!

Good morning and Happy July 4th to all.
Ralphie, if you are determined to establish a flock of the White variety of Legbar I think you will be successful. Inbreeding is a tool and if employed properly can be of great advantage. You are not going to have the benefit of hybrid vigor, and so human management of the flock becomes an essential element. Breed from the birds with the best vigor and you reduce the probability of genetic regression as relates to growth and reproductive attributes.
A classic example of this being successful is with Jean Robocker and Dutch Bantams. They are beautiful birds but have single combs and are very small in size. Not good elements in Northern Minnesota, unless one will winter them in a heated coop and not allow free range in summer.
Personally, I think you are on a good track with the Whites, as I don't like the color of the normal CLB if there is such a thing. The blue egg is what attracts people to them in most cases? Since color consistency seems not to be of great Importance a line of EE which lay a good colored blue egg would seem just as good. The bloom of the CLB will soon be gone, and the price they have sold for will be reduced in the future?

Good morning and Happy July 4th to all.
Ralphie, if you are determined to establish a flock of the White variety of Legbar I think you will be successful. Inbreeding is a tool and if employed properly can be of great advantage. You are not going to have the benefit of hybrid vigor, and so human management of the flock becomes an essential element. Breed from the birds with the best vigor and you reduce the probability of genetic regression as relates to growth and reproductive attributes.
A classic example of this being successful is with Jean Robocker and Dutch Bantams. They are beautiful birds but have single combs and are very small in size. Not good elements in Northern Minnesota, unless one will winter them in a heated coop and not allow free range in summer.
Personally, I think you are on a good track with the Whites, as I don't like the color of the normal CLB if there is such a thing. The blue egg is what attracts people to them in most cases? Since color consistency seems not to be of great Importance a line of EE which lay a good colored blue egg would seem just as good. The bloom of the CLB will soon be gone, and the price they have sold for will be reduced in the future?

I agree, even the price for CLB's is hardly worth it this year. I sold mine at $15 this year. That will not be the price next year, everyone I sold to (and there are LOTS of people) will be selling chicks next spring. I am betting they will be well under $10 for a pullet. When you figure 50% are roosters, and need to be destroyed you are at $5 a bird.

I can get more for SS and they are not sexed, or if I could ever get the PC's to breed successfully, more from them. I have not forgotten I owe you a half a dozen pullets, they are just not hatching. I am going to be moving Ed and his girls to a larger taller run to see if that makes a difference. I do have 2 nice roosters from them though
he.gif

Quote:

Haha, that is life. Well I live in Coon Rapids, slightly north of the twin cities. I'm really not looking to get chicks this instant, because in order to keep them legally you must submit an application and everything, then have people come and inspect your land and give you the ok to build the coop, and only then you can get the chicks.

I've done some research about what breeds I would want, and found that Easter edgers/Ameracanas would be a good fit. Every source I've looked at says they're friendly and comfortable in cold climates. They also lay beautiful eggs, which is a bonus.

I think Fufus would be great, too, but it's definitely ok if I can't get them. Also, I don't mind if they're all the same breed or not, as long as they're friendly and do well in minnesota's crazy weather!

Haha, that is life. Well I live in Coon Rapids, slightly north of the twin cities. I'm really not looking to get chicks this instant, because in order to keep them legally you must submit an application and everything, then have people come and inspect your land and give you the ok to build the coop, and only then you can get the chicks.

I've done some research about what breeds I would want, and found that Easter edgers/Ameracanas would be a good fit. Every source I've looked at says they're friendly and comfortable in cold climates. They also lay beautiful eggs, which is a bonus.

I think Fufus would be great, too, but it's definitely ok if I can't get them. Also, I don't mind if they're all the same breed or not, as long as they're friendly and do well in minnesota's crazy weather!

Welcome lydiaholmes. We do have a Holmes on this thread so I choose to call you lydia. You are on a friendly, not just about chickens thread and will learn ALOT so stay tuned. You may wander to get more info because there is alot out there - then we will welcome you back because Surviving Minnesota is thee best! LOL.

Four hens? Nice number. Americana, EE. Speckled Sussex - nice and quiet and beautiful. Welsummer (chocolate egg color) are docile. Buff Orpington and Australorps are very gentle birds and quiet. Go for the color and diversity. Makes a pretty flock. And, if it is the eggs you want, go to Ralphie and get 'established hens if he will let any of his go. They are certified and very good way to begin a flock. I found my Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock to be okay but not wonderful. Others find them wonderful. Eventually they all get replaced so experiment for the next couple of years and enjoy.

Happy 4th all...

I do not have 5 years to breed them back to non-sports. A fact of life that hits you around 65. I am not sure if I will even have birds in 5 years.

I am stuck trying to bring the ones I find with the recessive gene back into the sports. I will breed my pullets to a white sport rooster, if they have the recessive gene I should get 50% whites. I will test breed the pullets in December. Marking each one, a pain in the rear, but I will be bringing in cousins instead of brother sister. Not great but better.

I would like to trade with someone but beings the CLBs all started at GFF there is not a lot of diversity. I guess that is the way all new breeds are though. I have not seen any problems with the CLB's beyond the young ones that fail to thrive or have wry legs. They end up in the chamber, sad but true.

I am starting to pick my SS for next year. I am a little worried I do not have a lot of hens. I have one I think is a girl, (watch it grow today to celebrate the 4th) She is a beauty, good conformation. I hope I can find a rooster and another hen that look like she does.

Lydiaholmes if you want a good hen for in town, I would take a SS hen. They are so naturally friendly and curious. The only complaint I would have is they follow me everywhere. I have to tell them or run them off when I go into the chick brooder shed. They would follow me in there if I allowed it.

Judy and I are going to be putting next springs breeding pens up today. I think Coffee is coming by to get her Keets today. Hopefully, that will give us a break to sit on the deck and have a Mikes.

I need 13 more Keets to make an even 100 Guineas. I am pretty sure I have them, but I will not open or look in the hatcher until Judy gets up and wants to get them. It is kind of a thing we do together, she really likes the babies. The keets are so active it takes two of us to corral them. I have two hatching trays full of eggs, I have blocking on the ends but as soon as I start to pull it out they start jumping out.

Ralphie - I LOVE my three SS. I really lucked out with three hens. Do you want to take one back? Only for you Ralphie, would I make this offer. Only for you. They are curious. They are friendly. They are quiet. I really, really like the SS and will always have at least one (depending on how many HENS - no roosters - I have in my flock eventually. I would like a Welsummer also and an EE - future birds in a few years.

Ralphie, I am not concerned about the PC pullets, Do not eat all of those PC cockerels at this point, as I may want/need one. My current flock sire has developed a problem with his leg which is not bumblefoot. He may have injured himself jumping off a high roost? Hopefully that is it, as he is very docile and of excellent type.

Ralphie, I am not concerned about the PC pullets, Do not eat all of those PC cockerels at this point, as I may want/need one. My current flock sire has developed a problem with his leg which is not bumblefoot. He may have injured himself jumping off a high roost? Hopefully that is it, as he is very docile and of excellent type.

The PC chicks are protected! I would rather risk killing an eagle (well, almost) over losing one of my precious PC's. BTW the PC hen that went broody is a tough mother, she has her 14 keets towing a straight and narrow line. She tried to attack a turkey that was too close to her pen today. I do not dare reach into the pen, or she will attack me! The funny thing is she is such a mellow laid back bird most the time.

Happy Independence Day! Woot woot!
yippiechickie.gif
I slept in. till 9! crazy, I know. It is weird when you get up at 4 usually, to sleep in until 9. half the day is gone! :) I better go check on the girls. They look fine on the hen cam, but I like to greet them in person and make sure. Have a great day everyone!

Happy 4th all...

I do not have 5 years to breed them back to non-sports. A fact of life that hits you around 65. I am not sure if I will even have birds in 5 years.

I am stuck trying to bring the ones I find with the recessive gene back into the sports. I will breed my pullets to a white sport rooster, if they have the recessive gene I should get 50% whites. I will test breed the pullets in December. Marking each one, a pain in the rear, but I will be bringing in cousins instead of brother sister. Not great but better.

Makes sense!

I would like to trade with someone but beings the CLBs all started at GFF there is not a lot of diversity. I guess that is the way all new breeds are though. I have not seen any problems with the CLB's beyond the young ones that fail to thrive or have wry legs. They end up in the chamber, sad but true.

Maybe you need to import a new bloodline?

I am starting to pick my SS for next year. I am a little worried I do not have a lot of hens. I have one I think is a girl, (watch it grow today to celebrate the 4th) She is a beauty, good conformation. I hope I can find a rooster and another hen that look like she does.

Lydiaholmes if you want a good hen for in town, I would take a SS hen. They are so naturally friendly and curious. The only complaint I would have is they follow me everywhere. I have to tell them or run them off when I go into the chick brooder shed. They would follow me in there if I allowed it.

Buckeyes and Welsummers are like that too.

Judy and I are going to be putting next springs breeding pens up today. I think Coffee is coming by to get her Keets today. Hopefully, that will give us a break to sit on the deck and have a Mikes.

I need 13 more Keets to make an even 100 Guineas. I am pretty sure I have them, but I will not open or look in the hatcher until Judy gets up and wants to get them. It is kind of a thing we do together, she really likes the babies. The keets are so active it takes two of us to corral them. I have two hatching trays full of eggs, I have blocking on the ends but as soon as I start to pull it out they start jumping out.

My friend I get feed from had a batch of some rarer color keets she was selling. I am not sure if she got rid of them already or not though. She has a royal purple in her yard and he is GORGEOUS!!!!

Got ahold of the person I brought the blue Cochins from.
They said they bought them from someone in Missouri, but they can not remember who they got them from. So I am going to try and contact some breeders from Missouri and see if they ship eggs or chicks.

Welcome lydiaholmes. We do have a Holmes on this thread so I choose to call you lydia. You are on a friendly, not just about chickens thread and will learn ALOT so stay tuned. You may wander to get more info because there is alot out there - then we will welcome you back because Surviving Minnesota is thee best! LOL.

Four hens? Nice number. Americana, EE. Speckled Sussex - nice and quiet and beautiful. Welsummer (chocolate egg color) are docile. Buff Orpington and Australorps are very gentle birds and quiet. Go for the color and diversity. Makes a pretty flock. And, if it is the eggs you want, go to Ralphie and get 'established hens if he will let any of his go. They are certified and very good way to begin a flock. I found my Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock to be okay but not wonderful. Others find them wonderful. Eventually they all get replaced so experiment for the next couple of years and enjoy.

Thanks so much! It's really great to get an experienced opinion on different breeds. I think I'll get mine at the Anoka-Ramsey farm and garden center, though, that Cluckies recommended earlier. I called to ask about different breeds available and the operator guy said they have all of the popular ones and many more.

My main concern about SS is that the seem to go broody easily, which is not what I want. Roosters aren't legally allowed where I live, and I just want layer hens, so them going broody would be a problem. Have any of yours gone broody easily? How would I prevent it? SS seem like the ideal breed except for that one downside.

Back
Top Bottom